Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

Can I forward a voice mail on my iPhone to another iPhone

Customer Question

Can I forward a voice mail on my iPhone to another iPhone?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Can you please, elaborate on what exactly you are trying to do with your voice mail?

Who is your cell phone provider?

Customer :

I have a voice mail message that contains a detailed explanation from my son's doctor. I would like to forward the message to my husband. I have an iPhone 4 from AT&T.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Hello

Mac Extraordinaire :

- Call your voice mail box once more
- Listen to the voice mail
- Press 0 then press 6
- Then you will be asked for the phone number to which you want to forward this voice mail to.

Mac Extraordinaire :

The voice mail forwarding feature only works if the recipient of the forwarded voice mail is on the At&t cell network.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can be of assistance with this morning?

Mac Extraordinaire :

How is that coming along? Are you having any issues?

Mac Extraordinaire :

You may click the Accept button now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

You may bookmark the following link: http://theextraordinaire.com
----> In the future, if you have a question and would prefer to work with me, please visit that site and ask your questions there.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you for your time and patience.

Customer :

When I call my voice mail box and hot "0" and then "6" it says "incorrect key"

Mac Extraordinaire :

First choose the appropriate key so you can listen to your voice mail.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Once you listen to the chosen voice mail, then you hit 0 and 6.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Are you having any problems with that?

Customer :

I am able to listen to my voice mail. I am given the option to save, delete, listen to date and time message was left. Unable to forward. I found the same directions on internet and was having a problem as well.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok, very curious.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Listen to the chosen voicemail once more. During playback, hit the 6 key.

Mac Extraordinaire :

That should give you the option to forward to a specified number

Mac Extraordinaire :

Is that working for you now?

Customer :

does nothing......How could I be messing this up? Sounds so simple. lol

Mac Extraordinaire :

I am not sure why it is not working for you. It is possible that you do not have this feature enabled on your At&t account.

Customer :

perhaps.....let me check

Mac Extraordinaire :

If that is the case, you may have to call At&t and verify that they are not blocking that function for some unknown reason.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, keep me updated on your status if there are any changes.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I will be standing by.

Customer :

AT&T told me that they were not showing any type of "blocks" on features. They insisted that it was not possible for me to forward a voice mail. I told them I was trying to forward the message to another AT&T customer. I had done research and remember reading about the AT&T customer statement. They then went on to tell me that the procedure I was trying to follow only worked on iPhones that had been "jailbroken". I gave up and just had my husband call my voicemail and gave him my passcode. Thanks for trying.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you for the update.

At&t's explanation sounds a little fishy because I recall forwarding voice mails to other At&t customers as well in the past.

Customer :

I agree. I have done so with Verizon. I have not tried on my AT&T iPhone until now. Any other clever workarounds? I am so technically challenged. LOL

Mac Extraordinaire :

It appears that At&t may have been correct. If your phone was jailbroken, the voicemail features may not work correctly.

Mac Extraordinaire :

At&t uses a special application for iPhone voicemail functions.