MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I cant download updates to Turbotax. They start downloading,

Customer Question

I can't download updates to Turbotax. They start downloading, but continually get slower until they stop. I've tried at home and at an internet cafe - no difference, so it seems to be in the computer. I've talked to Turbotax extensively but they can't find any problem from their end. Is there something in my Macbook Pro that might slow down the updates in this way?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What version of TurboTax are you attempting to install?
• When the updates slow down, are there any errors that appear or do you receive any time-out messages?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

II will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
10.5.8
turbotax deluxe - I have it installed, just can't download the updates
when the download eventually stops, usually after more than an hour, I get an error message that it wasn't able to download the updates.
Thanks for your reply,

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

• From your desktop, click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Home from the drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, this file:
com.intuit.TurboTax.2010.plist

Once you have removed this file, then click the back button on your open Finder window. This will return you to the Library view.

• Locate and Trash the folder entitled Caches

Once you have done that, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select Logout <username>, so you can log out of your user account.

*Once you are logged out, simply log back in. This action will restore all the files and folders you just trashed, with new copies of each.

*Now attempt to launch TurboxTax Deluxe again and try to run those updates. I am having you try this procedure to isolate if the issue could be a corrupted Turbo Tax corrupted Property list or "plist" for the application.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

I will be watching for your reply.

Regards,

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not the end of the session, especially if you still have questions or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay; I had a meeting to attend.
I followed your instructions and then tried to download the updates. The results were the same as I have been having. The updates downloaded starting at a moderate speed and getting about one quarter done, but then slowing way down. After about an hour, it seemed to start over and try again, but didn't get very far and finally quit trying after another hour or more. Then it just gives a message that there was an error in downloading the updates.
Thanks for your reply and so sorry for the delay.

I have spent a lot of time looking into the symptoms causing the slow down to literal stops with the TurboTax updates, and this is what I have found out.

It is not your Mac at all. There appears to be an issue with the Turbotax servers causing issues with Mac OS X users, ranging from the TurboTax application freezing to as in your case, consistent failures with updates.

Fortunately there is one possible solution that TurboTax Support does offer:
a manual update: Manually Update TurboTax Deluxe 2011 for Mac

This is TurboTax's only resolution to the update failures occuring with their servers and Mac OS X systems running their current updates of TurboTax Deluxe 2010.

So give this a try and let me know if TurboTax scores bonus points with you on this one, considering the nuances you have experienced with this issue.

I will be awaiting your update and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been in contact with Turbotax twice and tried the manual updates both times with them watching what I was doing - had the same problem there. I've also tried it numerous times myself; it just doesn't work for me. With the manual update it continually gives the speed at which it is downloading. It starts out at moderate speed but quickly slows to a crawl, and eventually just stops.
That says it all and I stand firm with my answer for you until after this next process is completed.

This is not your Mac's issue from what I can assess thus far. And one of the reasons I am acknowledging this, is because there are alot of other Mac users with this same software having the same issue with TBTax Deluxe 2010 for Mac.

And to prove that this is the software developer's issue, here is one more procedrure I would like you to try:

So here is what I would like you to try next:

I would like you to create a new user account so that we can test if the
issue you are having, is specific to a single User Admin Account
or System-wide, affecting all users on your Mac.

The outcome of this procedure will either prove that what I have explained about the issue with the TurboTax updates failing, being the result of TurboTax's server side and that my original answer is correct, -OR- this is an issue that does have something to do with your Mac's interaction with Turbotax specifically and we proceed further to continue isolating what the issue may be.

-CREATING A NEW ADMIN USER- (for troubleshooting purposes)

• Click on the Apple menu icon in upper left corner of your screen. Now select System Preferences from the drop down menu.

• From within System Preferences, select Accounts
• When the Accounts window opens, click on the padlock icon
at the bottom left corner and enter your Admin User
password for your Mac, when the dialog box pops up.

• Once you have full access to the Accounts window, click the "+" button, which is located just above the padlock you just clicked.

• Create an new user with the User name "test" and use a password like "test or "password" as a generic password.

• Make sure to click the check box for " Allow user to administer this computer", to make sure that the test user has full Administrator rights.

• Once you have committed this new user, quit System Preferences and close all windows and applications.

• Now once again, click on the Apple menu icon and select
Logout <your username>, located at bottom of the menu, and you will be logged out.

•From the login window that you are at now, select the New User account you just made and with your generic password, log in to that account.

• When in that new User Admin Account, proceed to launch TurboTax from the Applications folder and try to run the updates from this new user environment.

Let me know what the outcome of this process is and we will go from there.

Thanks, I appreciate your patience!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I created the new account as described above. When I launched TurboTax, it told me that I was running a read only copy of TurboTax and that I can't update it - that I have to log into the account that I installed TurboTax with, or have to create a copy that I have permission to write to.
Thanks for the update.

Here is what you can do, in order to enable full permissions for TurboTax Deluxe 2010 for Mac:

• If you are still in the New User account, log out and go back to your main user account.
•Once you are back into your main user account, go into your Applications folder.

• Right-click on the TurboTax icon and select Get Info

• You will see a long vertical window now appear. This is the information window for TurboTax application.

• Now look at the bottom of the TurboTax information window and you will see a section entitled Sharing & Permissions:

• Click the little Padlock located on the bottom right corner of the window:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

• Mac OS X will now ask you for your User Admin password. Enter it, press ok and the padlock will unlock.

• It is here that you need to change the permission for TurboTax.
• Under Everyone Privilege > change the permissions from Read to Read & Write .
• Then click the padlock to commit the change.
(Changing this permission setting for the TurboTax application, should allow you to log back in to your new user and continue testing the application without restrictions)

• Now quit the information window and log back in to your New User account and now try to run Turbo Tax Deluxe once again.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Regards,

Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did as you instruct above; all the permissions say Read & Write, but TurboTax still won't let me update. When I clicked on update, it provided the following message:
"TurboTax cannot be updated if it is running on the CD or is installed in a folder that you do not have the privileges to change.
Please log into your computer as the user that originally installed TurboTax or copy TurboTax into your home directory."
Thanks for your update and I was prepared, just in case the permissions change did not work.

TurboTax Deluxe 2010 for Mac is just under a 100 MB application, and it installs fairly fast, so rather than labor over permissions, go ahead (for sake of trial) and install it in your new user account and proceed to test the application for its updates in that account.

Keep in mind, the whole reason for even having you create a new user account is just to test if the TurboTax updates work or don't work in this new environment, so if you would, go ahead and install the application on the new user account.

Thank you for being so diligent on this issue and for allowing me to assist you thus far.

I look forward to your update.

-Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I got into this problem, I worked with TurboTax. My program was frozen and I couldn't open it, so they had be trash the program and try to download it anew. I couldn't download it, so they sent me the program on a CD. I went into the test logon and tried to install the program using the CD, but it would not install. It said that I already had the program installed and did I want to replace it; so I clicked on replace. I then got the following message: "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."
You have given me a great idea, if you have trashed TurboTax before, you can do it again.

And that is what I want you to do again. This time I have a better tool for you to use.

Please go back to your original User Admin account and then download this application:
AppZapper v2.0.1

AppZapper is a very effective and safe way to remove any application off of your Mac OS X volume. It does not remove the files you have saved from application, only the application itself, its directory files, folders and sub-folders only. This software utility for Macs is known as an application uninstaller and it does that-very well.

So once you have downloaded AppZapper, proceed to remove the existing copy of TurboTax from your original user account and then re-install TurboTax Deluxe 2010 for Mac.

By performing this procedure, with AppZapper, you are removing any residual files left from your previous removals of TurboTax, which I might add, when you previously did delete the earlier copies of TurboTax by removing it to the Trash, you did not completely remove all of its associated files. AppZapper takes care of removing all of the application's directory contents, even the ones we miss when dragging the application to the Trash. That allows the same application to be re-installed, without any residual, broken files left behind by those previous deletions to the Trash.

So make sure when you are completed with this process, to attempt the manual TurboTax for Mac update once again and see if this process finally grants you some peace of mind in your usage of this application.--And I know you don't have time to waste; April 18th is not too far away!
Link: Manually Update TurboTax Deluxe 2011 for Mac

Let me know how this turns out and thank you again, for staying with me on this issue and for trusting me, to help you resolve this buggy problem with TurboTax.

Regards,

-Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The AppZapper v2.0.1 says it is for OS X 10.6.2 or later. Is it going to work on my 10.5.8?
Sorry, I did not realize you did not have Snow Leopard.

No worries, here is the version for Mac OS X 10.5 and earlier
Download AppZapper v1.8

Try this version- I use it on my older version Macs and it is just as effective.

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried clicking on the link you provided "download AppZapper v1.8" three times. In all cases it took me immediately to a download window where it appeared to start downloading. It went normally for a few seconds, then slowed down, crawled along for about a minute, then quit and showed the message "decompression failed". Each try had a slightly different label: AppZapper 1.8.zip, AppZapper 1-1.8.zip, and AppZapper 2-1.8.zip.
Thanks for that update.

Try this link I have created for you to get a geniune copy of AppZapper v1.8

AppZapper 1.8 Share

Let me know if this share file I created works better for you, so you can continue with the procedure I provided for you earlier.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The same problem keeps occurring; my system won't complete a download. Again it begins at a slow but reasonable rate but then slows to a crawl; it was downloading at about 2 KB/sec when it quit. The error message it gave was again "Decompression failed". However, the download window that was open also showed the previous failed downloads; the error message on the first two of them had changed to the following: "Operation could not be completed. (SafariErrorDomain error 0.)" So my problem is not just with TurboTax.
You are right and thanks for your patience, I was checking in my reply queue and I see you had replied back on the 7th- my apologies for missing you.

Tell me, (so we can get back on course here), are you also having issues with other applications or in your general use of Safari, outside of TurboTax?

Need to get a bit more background in your previous use of Safari.

Thanks!

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yesterday I received notice that updates were available for my computer. I tried to download them. The system seemed to almost complete the download but not quite, and I received an error message that the download had not been completed. I don't do a lot of downloading.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Locate and remove to the Trash, these files:
com.apple.Safari.plist

Once you have removed these files, then click the back button on your open Finder window. This will return you to the Library view.

*Once you are logged out, simply log back in. This actions will restore all the files and folders you just trashed, with new copies of each of them.

*Now attempt to try the manual update once again
Manually Update TurboTax Deluxe 2011 for Mac

Let me know what the outcome is.

Thanks!

-Terry

If this does not work. There is nothing more you can do, but wait for TurboTax to come with another update to address the current updates issue and Safari will not be part of the issue after all.