Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I have an iBook G4. I am at my sisters house trying to get

I have an iBook G4. I am at my sister's house trying to get online. My laptop is showing me that there is a wifi signal, but the computer won't go online. I keep getting an alert stating:

IP Configuration

192.168.0.2 in use by 00:1b:11:71:fa:60, DHCP
Server 192.168.0.1

I am hoping that you know what this means, because I have no idea!

Thanks,
Rob
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob,

When you click the airport icon on the top toolbar of your Mac's desktop then wait a few seconds does it show a list of available wireless networks?

If so can you tell me what happens if you choose your Sisters wireless connection, Does it ask for a password XXXXX does it give you an error?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They have two wireless networks at their house, I have tried both of them... Neither has a password... the alert message that I sent you only comes up when i try to open either of my browsers (firefox and safari)
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Can you click the apple icon then choose system preferences and open Networking.

When it opens can you then select the airport and then tell me what it says?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it says:

Airport is connected to the network dlink. Airport does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Can you go to System Preferences then Network and open AirPort then select TCP/IP and make sure that the option to Configure IPv4 is set to Using DHCP and let me know what it was set to.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is currently set to DHCP...
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Can you try to renew your IP Address lease by pressing the button on the right side of the TCP/IP settings window to request a new IP address from the Router.

If that does not work can you unpluug the router itself for 30 seconds then plug the power back in and wait 2 minutes then try to renew your IP again and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just renewing the lease didn't work.

I tried unpluging the router and then renewing and now that same alert pops up when I try to renew...
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Do you know if you can use her machine to access the router so you can check some settings?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her's is an HP which I don't know much about... I am using it right now to communicate with you.

I just don't want to mess anything up here and lose my connection to you...

Let me know what I need to do...
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

You said that they have two wireless networks, So can you tell me if you get the error on both when you try and renew your IP Address?

If so can you try goinf to System Preferences then Network and opening Locations then choosing New Location and naming it something you wilol remember such as your sisters name and then then try configuring your network one more time under the new location you just created.

If that does not work then I would assume there is some type of MAC blocking turned on on the router and we will need to try and make a few small changes to see if your machine can get access.

Let me know how you get on with the new location.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, I'm getting the same results...
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you give me the model of her router

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Brand Name is D-Link

Model No.: DWL-2100AP
FCC ID: RRK2004042018-1
IC: 4216A-WL2100AP
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Can you go to a machine that can get online through the router then click open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1/ then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted to login Just click Ok then on the left can you go to the Advanced tab and then click Mac Filters on the left side and then next to Access Control can you set the mode to disabled using the drop down menu and then save your changes and let me know if you can then connect your Mac after about 2 minutes?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have another machine... the only thing that I could do is disconnect the LAN from this computer and see what happens... If I get disconnected then what?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

If you get disconnected can you just follow the link you should have been emailed and it will bring you straight back here so we can continue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Their computer won't connect to the a wireless network either. I'm assuming that the issue is within their routers and not with my computer... I think that for the time being, I will just use the LAN... I need to know if in all of this, I may have altered the normal setting of my compute?

I.E. there used to be some numbers and letters next to the IPv6 Address that are not showing up anymore...

As long as the settings won't be screwed up somewhere other than here, I will be happy!
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.
No,

Nothing will have changed the settings, when you go home and connect to your wireless
The numbers will return ao don't worry about that.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Two more things that I want to know:

First, I noticed that some of your previous clients gave you a bonus payment. Is that like a tip, and do you receive 100% of that?

Second, in doing this today, I am just being charged as a one time fee right? I'm not automatically in a subscription now, am I?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.
Ok,

You are only ever charged the amount you posted the question for and are not subscribed to anything, although you may get the occasional email from our system if we are running a special or introduce a new category.

As to the bonus, yes that is a tip and we get the majority of it as the expert, however that is not necessary.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft