Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Whenever I try to throw mail in the trash, it says, message

Customer Question

Whenever I try to throw mail in the trash, it says, "message could not be moved to the mailbox 'trash - on my mac'. The operation could not be completed. File exists.

So I've been throwing things in the "junk" file to get them out of my inbox. Then I go to dump that, and I get the same message!! They won't even delete from the Junk box because of the trash message above. Can you help me??

This message was sent hours ago. Do you have an answer, RICHARD???
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan. I take it you are not Richard.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Please do not shoot the messenger, I just came on and saw the question.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are using?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
10.6.7
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Very good, now this is what I want you to do. Quit Mail and any other open apps and do a permissions repair, this will help a lot of things and may fix the mail thing while it is doing it.

Repairing Permissions

Then do a pram reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes. This is the sound that happens at startup, like a boooonnnngggg.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

If you are using a wireless keyboard please tell me because he instructions for a pram reset using a wireless keyboard are little different.

Let me know please.