Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am trying to transfer a video from a LG HD DD recorder to

Customer Question

I am trying to transfer a video from a LG HD DD recorder to my mac final cut. What interface do I need?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I have been off-line lost of the day.
Can you tell me what kind of connections the HD recorder has on it.
A lot depends on what there is.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daniel - I appreciate you getting back to me. I was given the JVC SR-DVM700 with material digitaly recorded onto it it. There is a miniDv output, it has a dv deck, also av outputs, component and s video.
So the easy way to hook it up to the computer is the miniDV to firewire. However neither the mac or finalcut recognizes it as a drive. I am fully stumped. I apreciate your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
The mini DV sounds like input only, no output.
This is something I use for video capture from VCRs, DVD players, 8mm camcorders that do not have the ports I need, like what this JVC has. This looks like a nice unit but was mean to connect directly to a computer with out video cards made for it.
This works well, Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac - VHS to DVD Conversion Mac Software, it is easy to use and can be sent to iMovie, Quicktime or directly to DVD.

It is worth a look.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Daniel - the mini DV outputs from the DV deck itself but that seems to be it. I have another question/problem concerning using an external hard drive as a scratch disk. Can I ask that here or do I need to start a new thread?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
As long as you select the scratch disk in FC preferences an external is fine.
One caveat is make sure that drive is connected and on before opening FC.
FC can be a temperamental beast, best to head off problems before they happen.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate you
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, I try.