Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Since I had AT&T U-Verse installed my Time Machine has not

Since I had AT&T U-Verse installed my Time Machine has not functioned.

NOW the light on the front of Time Machine is not even on - there IS POWER in the line to the unit but... HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
So AT&T installed a new modem and connected it to the TC but now the TC is non-functioning, correct?
How do you know you have power from where it plugs in to the TC?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

AT&T installed their own modem next to Time Machine. The AT&T network is working just fine... that's how I'm contacting you.

The tech switched my cpu access from the Time Machine Network/modem to their own. For some time I kept getting popup reminders that Time Machine was unable to do a scheduled backup. So today I tried switching my laptop to the Time Machine network to do a backup - there is no such network. The Time Machine is not running.

HOW DO I KNOW THERE IS POWER? Because the monitor on my desktop PC is connected to the same outlet and it is working fine.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
That is what happened, the AT&T tech did you no favors.
This is what you need to do to return full function to the Time Capsule (TC).
You want an ethernet cable running from the AT&T modem to the TC.
Then unplug the AT&T modem and the TC from power, plug the modem back in and then the TC.
Now once all the lights show normal on both the modem and TC click on the Airport icon in the menu bar on your Mac and select the network that corresponds to the TC.
Your settings should not have changed and should connect right up.
Now your Time Machine should work again.
Sometimes the techs that do this do not know what they are doing and mess things up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for trying - but the TC appears dead. Is there a reset protocol? Should I wait a period of time before plugging back in?

As a last resort I did press a paperclip into the tiny port on the back that looked like it might be a reset button. Nothing...
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
If it shows no signs of life try another outlet, it is very unusual for it to just die.
That is a reset button but will have no effect on power.
I suggest making sure that the power brick has the cords securely attached and that the cord is not dislodged at any point.
That is what it sounds like on this end is a power cord problem.
I say this because this started when the tech was there and changed things, very possible it became dislodged.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The TC unit seems to be "dead." I unplugged it for 24 hours + and plugged it into a new, active socket. No light - no activity - after several hours the unit is still cold.

Is it possible the lightning storm we had Friday night zapped ONLY the TC and not bother anything else - 2 computers & a TV w/ peripherals..?

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Quite possibly only the power supply is fried, I suggest taking it to an Apple store and have then check it with a new power supply. Might get lucky, a power supply is much cheaper that a new unit.
I would not take it anywhere else, no one else will have a new power supply.