Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

After several power surges in a storm, the air-port extreme

After several power surges in a storm, the air-port extreme does not work. I need to reset it. How do I do this? How can I reset the utility part in the computer? Should I use the disc that came with the airport extreme? Help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Does the APE (Airport Extreme) display any lights, flashing or steady?
What version of APE is it?
Open Airport Utility on your computer and see if you get any response from the APE.
It is very possible that the power surges fried the APE and the only fix may be replacement but we will try a few things first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is a new airport extreme purchased in Jan of 2011 so that we could have wi-fi for our xmas present - an I-pad. When plugged in, and the ethernet cable connected, the yellow light is solid for a few minutes, then begins to blink. Then, I go into untilities and it says there is no base station. I have probably messed up the settings by trying different things - like creating a new network, deleting old ones, changing settings, etc. Would like to erase everything and start over.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That is not too hard to do.
This is how to do it on the APE.

If the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.

1. Unplug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule from power.
  2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen or pencil, then plug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule back in while continuing to hold the button until you see the light (LED) flash rapidly. This should happen after a few seconds.
  3. Release the button. This will factory default reset the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule.
This is from Airport Utility.

If the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule is accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished without using the reset button.

1. Open AirPort Utility in Applications > Utilities on a Mac using Mac OS X, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows.
  2. Select the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule you’re setting up, and then click Manual Setup. Enter the password XXXXX necessary.
  3. From the Base Station menu, select Restore Default Settings…
  4. Click Continue to accept that you wish to erase the device and restore default settings. Files on AirPort disks will not be affected.

Then the link below is the manual to set the APE backup to your specs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Following your instructions, I got it to work. BUT, then I could not get an internet connection on my computer and the I-pad would not accept mu password. Tried to make changes in the system for the password XXXXX it would not accept them. Finally, undid the ethernet cable and plugged it back into the computer. Now what?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I suggest starting over from the beginning again. Go slow because one misstep can cause problems.
Did you get connected to the APE? Even though it did not go to the net?
If that is so then unplug the modem and leave the APE powered and leave the ethernet cable in place from the modem to the APE. Then power the modem back up, this forces the modem and APE to handshake.
After a little while the light should turn green.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can get the green light to go on and stay on. But, then the computer which is only 6 inches away does not connect to the internet. I shut down the cable modem and restarted it - didn't work. When the green light is on, the I-pad does not connect either. It seems to be an either/or situation. There must be something wrong in the settings. Sorry this is such a hassle.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
So the APE shows green, that means that that part is working. The problem now would seem to be the iPad and computer.
Make sure that you have selected the correct network and use the password XXXXX you set the APE with.
That green light tells me that the APE and modem are talking to each other and the APE is ready to accept signals from devices.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have given up on getting this set up and am very disappointed that I was charged the $38.00 on my visa. I am not blaming you - you tried. But, now I am at the mercy of Apple and a service contract. It will cost me more to get this APE up and running again than it cost to buy it. Guess that is life in the big city.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I still think it is the power supply and having an Apple store Genius checking it out should cost you nothing but the trip and a new power brick.
That is one of the functions of the brick is to intercept power surges.
If it was covered with Apple care then Apple will probably honor that. I have been very happy with Apple service, they are number one in the industry and number one model for what service should be.
Let me know how it comes out, I don't get paid unless you authorize it.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.