Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My daughter used ipod nano on pc instead of mac. It now does

Customer Question

My daughter used ipod nano on pc instead of mac. It now does not register as a device with itunes. i have tried resetting and all the other suggestions such as using a different mac, but it still only appears on the desktop as an external drive. Any suggestions please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 5 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

So, I believe you were using the ipod with a PC and now you are trying to use it with a mac. But it is not showing up in itunes, correct? Are you using the ipod with a mac for the first time?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Vinod.
The ipod was always used with a mac, and then it was attached to a pc for the first time. I think my daughter wanted to charge it up and didn't realise that it would cause problems. Since then it does not work with the mac.
May be we need to restore the ipod to factory settings. But before that, let's try a reset.

Connect the ipod to the mac and open itunes. Press and hold the menu and the center buttons together until you see an apple logo.

If that does not work, try connecting the ipod to different usb ports and do the same procedure - press and hold the menu and the center buttons together until you see an apple.

Let's see whether that helps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope - done all of these thing before anyway. So trying to see if there is anything else to try.
Ok.

Let's try this. Disconnect the ipod from the computer. Press and hold the menu and the center buttons together until you see the apple logo. The very moment you see the apple logo, press and hold the center button and the bottom button (play/pause) together. The ipod would be placed into disc mode with a check mark on it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1363

Then connect it to the computer. Let's see whether the ipod is recognized now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ipod is in disc mode, showing a flashing no entry sign and do not disconnect. It is on my desk top but not showing on itunes.
Disconnect the ipod.

Then, let's uninstall and reinstall itunes using the following doc
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1224

After that, connect the ipod and see what happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Done all that. Still only appears on desk top - not in itunes!
Sorry to hear that...:(

I think the ipod firmware may have been damaged. Does the ipod show up in itunes in your PC?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, because my daughter has not downloaded itunes on her pc!
What version of mac do you have?

To know that click on the apple logo to the top left corner of the computer. Then click on About this mac. Click on the opened window 1-2 times and you will get the version.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
10.6.7
Close itunes. Let's reset the ipod again by pressing and holding the menu and the center buttons together. Then go to Finder\[your username]\Library\preferences\ and drag the "com.Apple.iPod.plist" to the desktop. Then open itunes and disconnect and reconnect the ipod
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I reset. Then itunes started and the ipod said synchronising. But there are no devices in itunes yet.
Cant see my username in Finder? Just says about finder, Preferences and services
The ipod is synching,,,,strange..!!

Try connecting the ipod to different usb ports and resetting..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK - now in a port at back of mac. Reset but only connects as an external on desk top. not saying synchronising anymore!
may be the ipod needs a repair. I have run out of solutions unfortunately. I think i would opt out and other experts with different solutions would work with you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. But thanks for trying. :)
Nice working with you...:) Other experts would contact you soon. You will receive an email indication once an expert replies to you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

Download and install iTunes on the PC, open iTunes and connect your iPod. Does iTunes shows iPod in the Devices list ?