Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Have been trying to set up a 160n router with a d-link modem.

Customer Question

Have been trying to set up a 160n router with a d-link modem. it worked for one year and then stopped working. A dsl extreme tech got it working for one day and then it died again. So far, no one has been able to set it up
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
My honest opinion from the description is it is time to replace the router.
You have exhausted all other avenues to make it work and since it did for more than a year and it worked for a short time after then dies again.
Replace it, they are cheap enough. I suggest a Linksys or a Belkin, both do well and won't cost an arm or leg.
It you want top of the line go Apple.
That is my best advice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought the new valet plus and they could not configure that one, then I got an apple airport extreme and no one could make that work either
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok, this is how I would do it.
Place the Airport Extreme (APE) in place, run an ethernet cable from it to the modem (the modem is what actually connects to the internet, the router splits the signal so more than one device can use it).
Now power down the modem, plug the ethernet cable into the same port that the computer would use if it were the only device using the modem.
Plug the other end into the WAN port on the APE.
Now power up the APE if you have not yet done so and then the modem, the two will handshake and start to work together.
When the light on the APE turns green then it has communication to the web.
If this is a new, not yet configured APE it will be listed in the airport icon menu in your menu bar as Apple something (I forget just what it is but it will be something new.
This is the manual for setting it from Apple, step by step and fleshes out what I said above.
It will get you going quickly, just read carefully and go slow.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

already tried that. The modem connects to the internet using pppoe and the router is dhcp. The tech from dslexteme finally got it to work for one day by changing the location and going to the router page and changing the password etc. but that only worked for a short time. i since returned the new routers as I could not get them to work. The tech people for linksys know nothing and the dsl extreme people are saying that since the modem is working ok that they have no interest in trying to help me with the router.

Am considering getting the apple again, or calling a "make it work" person
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
What d-link modem is it, I mean what model?
The modem hands off to the router unless you have some weird off the wall ISP that uses nonstandard equipment.
After the router gets the signal then it uses DHCP to send to the devices.
The modem should also use DHCP, it not then I suggest telling your ISP to fix the junk they gave you.
Standard is: the line comes into the house, it can be dialup, DSL, cable or dish, makes no difference, the signal is standard, it goes into the modem where it is turned into a signal that computers and router use, the router sends it out to all the devices on the net work.
That is how it works.
If your modem will not work with a router then trade that useless modem for one that will.
The way I describe above is how it works.
I have Time Warner Cable into the modem, it is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme, from there it goes to 1 Power MAc, 4 Macbook Pros, 1 iMac, two PlayStations, 1 XBox and 1 PowerBook.
So I know how this stuff works.
If your modem refuses to act correctly then trade it for one that does, all routers are the same as for function, features vary.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What modem would you recommend. The d-link was provided by dslextreme
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Even that should work to standard. By unplugging the modem from power and then connecting it to the router and then plugging the modem back in so that it now sends all signals to the router.
Connect your computer to the router, it will do so both wired and wireless.
A modem is a modem, it turns what comes into something routers and computers understand, that is its function, without that you could not get to the internet.