Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Maxtor disables my computer and the computer only reboots when

Customer Question

Maxtor disables my computer and the computer only reboots when I disconnect Maxtor's
USB connection. Maxtor icon does not appear on my screen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MacOSX 10.6.3, Processor 2.66 gh Intel Core 2 duo, Memory 2 gb800 MHZ DOR2SDRAM

POP UP Window "Dick Utility stopped verifying "Macintosh HD"
This Disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another dick(such as Mac OSX10
installation disc), then use Disk Utility to repair this disc.

What now?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded) and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Complication..... I have let the kids use my family pack upgrade..... They are in Phoenix and I will have to
have them send it to me
My wife is hungry and I have the food in the car and need to go home.
How do I continue with you?
Best.... Daniel
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Bookmark this page, there is another option if you are willing:

To run fsck, you first need to start up your Mac in single-user mode. Here's how:
• 1. Restart your Mac.
• 2. Immediately press and hold the Command and "S" keys.
You'll see a bunch of text begin scrolling on your screen. In a few more seconds, you'll see the Unix command line prompt (#). Congratulations. You're now in single-user mode. I bet you've never seen your Mac screen look like that before. (I wish I could show you a screen shot of it, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible. And photos of it are ugly.)
Now that you're at the # XXXXX here's how to run fsck:
• 1. Type: "fsck -f -y" (that's fsck-space-minus-f-minus-y).
• 2. Press Return.
The fsck utility will blast some text onto your screen. If there's damage to your disk, you'll see a message that says:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
If you see this message--and this is extremely important--repeat Steps 1 and 2 again and again until that message no longer appears. It is normal to have to run fsck more than once -- the first run's repairs often uncover additional problems..
When fsck finally reports that no problems were found, and the # XXXXX reappears:
• 3. Type: "reboot" to restart,
• or type "exit" to start up without rebooting.
• 4. Press Return.
Your Mac should proceed to start up normally to the login window or the Finder.

Let me know we can continue tomorrow

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
My first answer did not solve problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO.... I tried to run fcsk without success. Lots of script appeared and a repeating line of s's, but no line
prompt.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you

• 1. Restart your Mac.
• 2. Immediately press and hold the Command and "S" keys.???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike......I did do that about four times or so. The text screen comes up, but when it has come to the last
line it just keeps showing the same line of s's; starting on the left and moving to the right and then starts
at the beginning of the same line.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Just hold the Command and S until you see words on the screen then let go.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike.... Repair was successful, but there is no Maxtor Icon on my screen. Finder brings 0...Shuld I reinstall
Maxtor software
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Open Disk Utility and choose the Maxtor on the left. What does it say in Disk Utility at the bottom next to Format
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Maxtor on Left. Other than Mac HD there is a hard drive symbol labeled 320.07 GB Hitachi HDP7....
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Is that the size of your Maxtor? Is that all that is listed there is no Volume listed under it like Macinotsh HD is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes Macintosh HD is listed as is Matshita DVD-RUJ-875. Is Maxtor an Hitachi Product? When I select the
Hitachi option I get the same style of window as for repairing the Mac harddrive
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Can you send a screen shot of the Disk Utility window?

To take a sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (?) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder.

Or to take a selective sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (?) and the number 4, you will see a little crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go, and the picture will be in Pictures folder. Let me know when sent.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Safari can't load the page
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry my domain expired yesterday give me a minute. Try again in about 10 minutes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I guess it takes a while can you send the picture to:

mike.the.macmedic-3jfg@post.me.com
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It is working now can you send the picture to

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I haven't heard back from you so I will tell you this. Select the 320.07 GB Hitachi HDP7 and try to Verify Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mike..... Hitachi verified. Did you get screen shot yesterday. Sorry I was not here. I had leave
for a three hour class. Today out of town to address mounting needs of my aged mother Hang in there
and when resolved I will definitely send off a generous tip. Also I mentioned that I had to disconnect
Maxtor USB cord even though Maxtor was switched off.

Thanks.....Daniel
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No I never got that. Sorry now I had a dog emergency just got back from the vet. So you Verified the disk and it is OK. But still having the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I Photo will respond to burning a disc. I still do not have a Maxtor Icon or know if I can get into the files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What info do you need?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What does iPhoto have to do with the problem?? Click on the first icon in the Dock to go to Finder. Then go to Finder / Preferences / General are all the top boxes checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to burn a CD of images from iPhoto yesterday. The computer asked for a disc which I inserted and then nothing happened......the box to "burn" did not appear. I tried several times and then disconnected
Maxtor and i Photo worked. All top Boxes are checked
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have to leave studio now.......
will return @ 8ish PDT
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well that is another issue about the CD burning. Not sure what you mean by Maxtor worked??? Is it showing on the desktop or not, please be more clear. What model is this Maxtor I assumed it was just an external drive. Open Disk Utility and choose the Volume below the Hitachi then look on the right at the bottom and tell me what it says next to Format? Or send that picture to:

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Excuse me for not being clear. Maxtor does not work and there is no icon anywhere. Finder shows no
information for Maxtor software. It is an external drive. I see nothing that says "Format"!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Here is a picture of the disk utility with the external volume selected and I have highlighted at the bottom where it says format. I never received your screen shot so I guess we have to do it this way.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Maxtor is model "Onetouch 111 USB 2.0. Screen Shot has been sent.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is not an external drive that is your internal hard drive. I would say the Maxtor has failed. Which is why it disables your computer.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I want to point out that the actual drive may still be OK it may be just the enclosure has failed. If it is not under warranty you can try putting the drive in another enclosure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought it had probably failed. However I still can find no reference to software through Finder. Do You
think that I should try reloading software? How would one put the drive into another enclosure?
I would expect that this is my last question for this session. Thank you for working with me and
for working around my erratic schedule.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No the software is not needed to mount the drive it is probably some kind of backup software.