OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

Im having trouble with my airport express - streaming music

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with my airport express - streaming music via my imac to the rest of the house. It keeps buffering in and out. I'd like to know if there's a way I can improve the signal.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton, are you available?

Customer :

Hi Britton

Customer :

I am available

OSXpert :

Hi, I need a bit more info, first...how old is your Airport Express?

Customer :

humm.....a few years maybe?

Customer :

is there a way I could check?

Customer :

we have a few around the house

Customer :

one (or two) newer than the other

OSXpert :

I see -- are any of the other units having the same issue?

Customer :

well I haven't tried swapping it out with the other expresses

Customer :

have been using the same one as it'd worked all this time (2 yrs)

Customer :

we have another unit plugged in downstairs

Customer :

and it has the same issue

Customer :

actually, and the another 2 on the same level has the same issue too

Customer :

the set up that we have is:

OSXpert :

It's funny you mention that -- because I have an Airport Express that worked fine for a while as well but is now exhibiting the same issues that you're having

Customer :

the main airport directly plugged in to the network

Customer :

then I have the imac (located in a different room on the same level) which streams the music on the wifi net work

Customer :

then I send the signals all over the house (we have 3 stereos plugged in with its own airport)

OSXpert :

okay...

Customer :

this problem did not occur when the imac was closer to the router....only when I moved it away

Customer :

and I notice the signals buffering if we're walking around the house...

Customer :

or if there's anykind of movement

Customer :

I believe there's an interference.

OSXpert :

I see -- first, I would start with trying to isolate the Airport connected to the iMac and see if it is indeed causing the problem. I say that because this very well may be an issue with the the "overall" signal in your home.

Couple questions:

First, do you know if you're Wifi network is 2.4GHz or 5.2GHz?

Second, do you like in a suburban neighborhood or an apartment?

Customer :

what's the quickest way to check the freq?

Customer :

we live in a suburban (rural) area....no other interference from neighbours

Customer :

I believe it's 2.4GHz but I should check

Customer :

and I don't have an airport connected to my imac...

Customer :

it is connected using wifi

OSXpert :

Well, the 2.4GHz spectrum can be tricky -- how close are your neighbors?

OSXpert :

Are you using an Airport Extreme to create your network? Or an Airport Express?

Customer :

a good 100-200m away I'd say

Customer :

how do I double check the freq?

OSXpert :

Customer :

I believe it's an express

OSXpert :

does it look like the rest of the "Airports" that you have in your house? Or is it bigger and does it lie down on a flat surface?

OSXpert :

Here is an extreme...

Customer :

brb

OSXpert :

...and an express
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

OSXpert :

I have to run -- post your findings here and I'll get back to them in a bit

Customer :

Sorry I have to step out too. I'll get back to you later this evening if not tomorrow morning. Thanks

Customer :

Ok, they are all EXPRESS (not extreme)

Customer :

feel free to post any suggestions you may have so I can try and resolve the issue while I'm out of the chat, thanks