Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

the screen on my ibook which is about two years old just turns

Customer Question

the screen on my ibook which is about two years old just turns on and off at will. I can open and close it or move it around and it will just shut off, but you can see that the computer is still on and working. It almost looks like a short. I was reading a blog and someone said this link will take you to apple software where it will fix that because apple knows about this problem. Is this link real? and what is going on here? I am running 10.6.4 and I have a 2 ghz intell core 2 duo with 2 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram.

The link that was given on the blog is:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181

Thanks...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
That link proved to be no good, Apple seems to have pulled it.
That does not mean all is lost.
One thing I notice is your System Software needs updating to 10.6.7 and there are most likely other updates along with it.
You can use this link for the combo package.
There may be a firmware for that machine but I need the serial number to find out.
This is also something you should do to help with performance issues.

Permissions Repair

You may have a cabling breakage that is causing this or it could be software related, the updates will help narrow it down.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here is the serial number:

W872303CYRH

my tech at work said to just retire this laptop as it is out of warrantee, but if I can fix it and use it for my students again I would prefer that. He said this operating system worked better. I can update it though to what you suggest. I am not aware of this laptop having this problem until we recently wiped it and installed the current operating system. But, my students might not have told me, which is not unusual.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Not many figure out how to send images, I am impressed.
That MacBook is by no means ready for retirement, it is well worth taking it to an Apple store genius and have them diagnose it. I do know that you cannot replace it for what it will cost to repair.
It could be as simple as the backlight for the screen, a test for this is easy, all you need is a flashlight. Shine it sideways and see it there are images on the screen, you may need to try different angles but this will give you a clue.
That is a fairly easy and inexpensive fix. From what you tell me that is what I think it could be or it could be a loose cable.
The Apple Genius will look it over for free and having someone hands on (not the IT at school, my wife is a teacher and I know about school district IT dept.).
I do think it is worth a trip if there is an Apple store not too far way.
These are the specs for that machine.
That is a nice classroom Mac.

Then again it may be a corrupted system, a reinstall of the OS may fix it, just install over the top of what is there now. Snow Leopard does that automatically.
You will have to do the updates again and repair permissions.
That is the best I can do without having the machine to look at.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can see the images they are just extremely dark. I will take it there. Thanks, Danna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Daniel, I wanted to let you know I took the laptop to apple and they fixed the loose wire for free. Thanks again for your help. They said something got loose they reattached it and reset the computer. Have a great day, Danna
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Sorry that I did not get back to you sooner. We were on vacation in FL, went to Disney and Sea World.
Glad to hear it was as simple and easy as that, wish all were like that.
Thank you for letting mer know.