Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a IMAC system is MAC OXS 10.6.7 It has a blue screen

I have a IMAC system is MAC OXS 10.6.7 It has a blue screen at start up after the apple logo and circle appear. It is frozen blue it will not take a disk and run it and will not eject. I tried to re install the apps disk but it is locked in drive and will not run. I shut off and tried but it went back to blue screen and will not do anything.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Ok, here is something that may get it running.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

If that doesn't do anything then try a safe boot.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

If both of those fatal than please give me the model number found underneath the foot. There is another thing that we can try.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok dan tried all options but i still have a blue screen . A circle now keeps coming on then flashing. Does that mean it is still running the cycle. My model # XXXXX A1225
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You did get the 4 startup sounds?
You can try a restart and hold down the OPtion key to open the Startup manager.
graphic

Failing that try an SMC reset, System Manager Controller.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer
Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, tried both and the only thing that was positive was that the hard drive did appear but when I clicked on it , it went to the blue screen again!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Then I would suggest clicking on the installation disk next time.
Then use disk utility to repair both the permissions and the hard drive.
After clicking on the installation disk and a successful boot than at the welcome screen you will see a menu bar with Utilities, select Disk Utility from the drop-down menu.
Then you want to do the following.
graphic
If that fails then your hard drive has failed and that is a whole different animal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, I'm a little confused . Do I do the 4 chimes with the option key or do I just hold the option key and then chose hard drive. The only problem with that is when the hard drive showed up it had an arrow and I clicked on it and it started but went to the blue screen.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
The pram reset uses the 4 keys 'Option, Command, R, P' the startup manager only uses the 'Option' key.
With the installation disk in the DVD drive it will also appear, because it shows the internal with an arrow is a good sign, it means that the drive is working and has an OS on it.
It needs repairing.
Read back though our correspondence carefully.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it shows that a pioneer disk failed on exit. In print ( The underlying task reported failure on exit)
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
On the bottom of the foot should be a serial number or a model number either of those will help me identify the machine.
It is beginning to look like a system failure and will require a new install of the operating system.
I need to know the numbers before I can go any farther with this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dan the man I think ur on the right track there. Model # XXXXX and the serial #QP 93407M250 . I hope ur still there and we get it right.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Do this just as it says, take no shortcuts.
Then try it and see what happens.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It does not work. You go back to the blue screen. What about installing from start up disk. when I went on the first aid all my stuff is still on the hard drive. I just can't get the computer to boot up and start. it will just go to blue screen. If I re install will I loss all my info.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
What I am trying to do is get you to boot from the installation disk, that way the disk maybe can be repaired so that it will boot up normally.
If the installation disk is not in the DVD drive then insert it now.
Then press the power button until the machine shuts completely off.
Press and hold down the letter C and press power to start the machine, keep the letter C pressed until the Apple logo and spinning gear appear, then lot go.
Read the following instructions very carefully please. They fill in details of what I just told you.

To boot from the installation disc and the Mac is on then start at step #1.

If your Mac is off or will not boot from the hard drive then goto step #3.

1. Insert disc #1, it can be the original that came with your Mac or it can be a retail version newer than the original that came with the Mac.

2. If the disc opens then click on the Install OS X icon, if it does not automatically open then double click the disk icon on the desk top and then click Install OS X.
Your Mac will restart using the install disk.

3. If your Mac is on but will not boot up then insert the installation disk and turn it off by pressing and holding the power until it shuts down.
Now press the power to start it and hold the 'Option' key until the startup manager appears.
If your Mac is off then press the power to start it up, immediately press and hold the 'Option' key for the startup manager.
Insert the disc and click the circle with the arrow to refresh and then select the installation disc to boot from.

Click continue at the language screen, the next screen will be welcome and at the very top of the screen will find a menu bar item Utilities.
The countdown menu select Disk Utility.
Select your hard drive from the list on the left, probably Mac HD, then click on First Aid as shown below.
graphic
Run Disk Repair, do not use verify, then run Permissions Repair, again do not verify.
After this finishes quit Disk Utility and the installer to restart, or power off using the power button.
Now restart and see what happens.
If the above fails the a new installation will be necessary, if done correctly none of your data such as movies, music, photos etc will be lost.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Dan, I beleive I'm going to have to erase and install . Everything is on my hard drive and I re installed it know I have a screen that says " u need to restart ur computer, hold down power button" I tried all of ur other options and the same screen keeps coming back.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes, a new install is advised. What that is is called a kernel panic, it means that the operating system is corrupted and is unrepairable.
Now boot from the installation disk and proceed to the install, Snow Leopard will automatically do what is called an Archive and Install, it preserves all user data and network settings.
What this does is give you a whole new operating system, the only thing here is that if the corruption is in your user account then a new OS will not fix it, the chances are that a new OS will fix it.
We have made progress, the next step is the installation. Make sure you use the Snow Leopard DVD or follow the instructions in the PDF at the link below.
Read it anyway because it explains the Archive and Install so that you know what is going to happen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, it will not let me preserve users and network
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Snow Leopard does this on its own but if you click on Options you will see where those settings are.
Please look at it carefully and click on any option button you see to find out what it says.
As long as you do not click install then you are safe, as soon as the process is started stopping it spells disaster.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, I went into errors maybe this will tell u something. It says "folder manager is asking to create a folder (asay) while running as a uid 0"
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
How did you get there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
from utilities on the disk
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Disk Utility is asking this? I don't know why you continue to fight this, do the new OS install and get on with your life.
Chasing this around will only frustrate and result in a new install anyway.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, what's up with that reply! I'm not trying to fight anything. What do u mean by ur comments? You are the one with a " servant o fCHRIST
JESUS" and this is your reply to me. I know it is frustrating and I am also. Don't you think your reply was a bit HARSH!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I was not trying to harsh, I was only trying to understand your reluctance to go ahead and install a new operating system.
Seems like you are doing everything but that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, I cannot click on the preserve user and network setting. It will not let me . That is what i am telling you. Not that I do not want to install. OK
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
If you are using the Snow Leopard disk then this is the default install that it uses.
If it wants to wipe the drive then you are correct by not doing so.
What you should do now is install on an external drive and migrate from the iMac to the new installation on the external hard drive, this will save all data and then you can wipe the drive in the iMac for a new install.
I think that what we have here is a communication problem but we will work it out.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I'm on it , I'm restoring from my aux.drive now.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
These things can make you pull your hair, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WE have about 12 minutes left for download.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm restarting now and waiting to see what happens. A grey screen came down telling me to restart computer or hold down power buttin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dan, did as said and the grey screen came right back telling me to power off and restart. Next!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, Is there anything else you can do ,I'm all ears. I have no idea or I wouldn't be online in the first place. I think our options are getting very limited,you've been very helpful. I hope you can find that one magic trick in your hat. waiting !
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You still are getting the kernel panic. Sometimes this can be hardware related.
You did get a new OS installed? You said you were restoring from the aux drive, were you able to migrate your data to the new install?
I guess I am not sure about were we are with this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dan, I re installed now I am setting up time machine for backup and then I am going to download what info I had from before . it is not all my stuff but most of it. so I only lost a little info and I can download those from disks. it is the photos but oh well!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
If it is on the TM then it should be fine and if you are doing the install with Snow Leopard without a wipe then they should be intact also. But if you had to start anew then some things get lost.
Just repair permissions every time an Apple update happens and when things get running not quite right.
It will save many headaches.