Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a new I-Mac with 21.5 monitor, and Im looking to buy

I have a new I-Mac with 21.5" monitor, and I'm looking to buy a second monitor to connect to it so I can use dual monitors at work. I'm looking at the "SAMSUNG BX2331 Glossy Black 23" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1)" or the "HP ZR24w IPS monitor". I need help with what connectors I need to connect the new monitor to my I-Mac, and also can you tell me how to confirm the monitor I purchase will be compatible with my I-Mac? Amazon has the HP ZR24w and I noticed that some customer reviews mentioned problems with connecting it to their Apple - but I can't tell whether they are compatibility issues or if they just got bad monitors?
Your advice would be much appreciated.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

90% of all monitors are compatible with Mac OS X. I've use many monitors with many Macs and never had any problem. People don't use correct cables or adaptor and that is why they have problem with it. Since you are using a new iMac, it should have a Mini Display Port. Also, since you are buying a HD Monitor, it should have a HDMI Port.

So, you can use this Adaptor, Mini Display Port to HDMI : http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1824ZM/A?mco=MTgxMzM1NzE

That should work..You can make monitor adjustments in System Preferences > Display

Let me know if you have any questions...

Best Regards,