MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I cannot get my mac to initiate. When I turn it on the apple

Customer Question

I cannot get my mac to initiate. When I turn it on the apple symbol comes up and the timer spins. Then the screen goes dark and i get a message that. Date/time can't exec bin/sh timed out.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.8" -Mac OS X 10.6.6)

• What model of Mac are you using?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>I got my mac in 2004. I think it is 10.5.8 but i'm not sure. I am at work and my Mac is at home. I have an i Mac</p><p> </p><p>I basically need to know if it is something i can do or if i need to take it for repair.</p>

Thanks for your patience, let's see what I can do to assist you in resolving this issue with your iMac.

Here are some procedures you can try to resolve the issue:

• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown.

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM Reset (Parameter RAM reset) on your iMac.

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up.

* If this first procedure does not work, not to worry, here is an alternative process for you:

-PERFORM AN SMC RESET-
The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of your Mac computer.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

• Shut down the computer.
• Unplug the computer's power cord.
• Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
• Release the power button.
• Attach the computers power cable.
• Press the power button to turn on the computer

Let me know if this works for you. I understand your Mac is at home and you are at work at the time of this session, but not to worry-- I will be here until the latter evening and tomorrow, and as long as this session remains open, for you to post back to me.'

Be sure to bookmark this page as well, so you can return back to it.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

I will be watching for your reply.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not the end of the session, especially if you still have questions or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

When you go home and try either of these procedures and do get a successful resolution to your iMac issue:
If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well - it doesn't seem that either of these solutions worked for me. The first method let me hear the start up twice but never moved to a third time and the second solution did nothing. The grey screen with the apple comes on for about 1 minute and then I get a black screen with a solid white cursor in the upper left hand corner, with the machine still sounding like it is "working" very hard. Then when I push the power button it says IOSMUPwrCONTROLLER:: power button pressed. Any other suggestions you may have?