John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I have been using mail merge from an excel file to a word envelope

Customer Question

I have been using mail merge from an excel file to a word envelope file for awhile now. I want to merge from a different work sheet now but can not. The specific sheet does not show up on the data list. I tried putting that sheet first in the data but still have had no luck. any suggestions? This is all on my Mac. My old PC I could do any of these functions easily! not sure why I can't on the Mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Not sure which phase of the mail merge process this 'data list' is, but if you start a new mail merge, then when you got to the step 'Use existing list', and choose Browse, you will be able to navigate to your Excel file, select it, and you will get a 'Select Table' dialog box and that is where your see the different sheets listed to choose from. You need to make sure though the file is an excel file not a csv data file

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I started a new mail merge document .. set up the envelope, clicked on select recicpients > get List and only find New Date Source or Open Data source. I did not see 'Use existing list'
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Which version of Excel are you running

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Excel Mac 2008
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Ok here is how to get to the source file and be able to choose the sheet of your choice

- From the Get List pull-down menu, select Recipients List section, then select Open Data Source...

- Choose a Data file dialog box appears

- Now navigate to your excel file and select it

- When you click Open, you should see the sheets listed in the dialog box that comes up.

- Select the desired sheet

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is the problem. When I get to the part where I need to select the desired sheet it is not listed. IE: I have an excell file with 5 sheets in it: Active members, Inactive members, 2011 prospects, 2010 prospects...

I want 2011 Prospects but it does not show up in the options. I moved it to the first tab in my excell file and it still does not appear? The only sheet I seem to be able to mail merge from is the active members sheet ?! I don't know why?
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

hmm.. that particular file could be corrupted. Try creating a new file with a few addresses on 2 sheets and let me know if the sheets show up when you select this file as your source file

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I have set this up before and still can not switch to other work sheets. I am done with this avenue for now. Please credit back my payment. I believe it is a mail merge issue with the new version. I will figure it out later, probably through a word or excel class.