MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

My iPad stopped accessing the internet. My girlfrind who has

My iPad stopped accessing the internet. My girlfrind who has an iPad and lives in the same house is still accessing the the internet with her iPad and I can still access the internet wirelessly with my net book. I've tried turning the security off on my router, turning my iPad off and back on, and reseting my network settings on my iPad, but i still keep getting Safari cannot open the page (iGoogle in this case) because it is not connected to the internet. Can any one help???
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• Have you already connected your iPad to iTunes and updated to iOS 4.3.1?
• When you go into Settings>Wifi, do you see your network's name?
• Also, when you click the blue and white right pointer arrow, do you see a valid IP Address or a 169.x.x.x?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

II will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response

I have not connected to iTunes and or upgraded to 4.3.1 (though neither has the other iPad in the house, which is still accessing the internet)

When I go into settings>WiFi I do see my network's name and the names of several near by. When I reset my network settings and re-logged to my network it asked for my network password XXXXX accepted the password XXXXX when I went into safari it still wasn't connecting.

When I click the blue and white arrow I do see for IP Address 169.x.x.x....Do you need the rest of the address? Also I have tried the renew lease button to no effect.

Glad to be of service and thank you for your reply. No need to add the rest of the IP Address I know what it is.

The fact that you see the 169.x.x.x as an IP Address, is an indication that your iPad is not connecting to the Wifi network in your home and not resolving a valid IP Address.

Anytime you see a 169.x.x.x IP Address, you will not be able to connect to a network.

So, this means that there is something going within your network, that is blocking your iPad from connecting to the network like your girlfriend's iPad is.

So for starters, what I would like you to do,is perform a standard reset
by pressing the Sleep and Home buttons on your iPad for 10 seconds.
• Within that time, you will see the iPad screen go black, followed by an Apple menu icon and then return you back to your main iPad screen.

• Now go back into Settings >WIfi and check the IP Address once again. If you still see 169.x.x.x, exit out of that screen, then that is an indication that the you have a block still within your security software or Firewall that may be preventing your iPad from connecting.

This has got to be a factor, because with the other iPad and your Netbook connecting to the Internet wirelessly with no problem, it seems more applicable than not.

So check your router settings and your security software just one more time and update me, if you see anything that you may need my assistance on in trying to locate where this block to your network access is coming from.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

I will be watching for your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried the reset on my iPad like you instructed, to no avail (still had the 169.x.x.x address). I

I did try looking at my firewall and security settings but wasn't really sure what I was looking for so I took a leap and power cycled my router... and that seems to have reset my security settings back to the point where my iPad can connect to the internet.

I would be curious to know what settings changed in my router (I suspect that the power in the house went out while I was at work or something like that) and just what I should be looking for next time this happens.
And I believe you made a very good guess.

Power outages can wreak havoc on a computer system logically (software logic that is) as physically (mechanically). As a result, it would not be surprising that certain settings on any router or computer for services such as Internet or network access protocols could be impacted as well.

So it is a matter of looking further into your firewall settings, and learn how to enable, disable and create rules within the firewall, so different ports can either allow or block certain traffic in your network with that firewall.

• So in the case of your iPad, it appears that somehow the firewall after the outage must have gotten confused and more than likely blocked the hardware address (also known as a MAC Address -which is the unique indentifer number the each component has that is recognized by the network those components are in) of your iPad, but permitted the access of the hardware address of your Netbook and your girlfriend's iPad.

This is the best assessment I can make from a 3rd person, technical perspective.

I hope this helps.
Very glad to read you are back online now.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you.