Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

i need to change my password XXXXX my IMac and it will not accept

i need to change my password XXXXX my IMac and it will not accept my former password, so I cannot make the change... How do I establish a new password.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What exact Mac OS X version do you have ?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OS X Version10.4.11
OK, thank you!. Please follow the steps below:

1. Power on or restart your Mac.

2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.

3. Type sh /etc/rc and press Enter/Return.
    sh (blank space) /etc/rc

4. Type passwd username and replace “username” with the short name of the user account for which you’d like to reset the password.

passwd (blank space) username

5. Type your desired password XXXXX press Enter. It won’t show itself on the screen, so be careful what you type. You will most likely have to enter it again to confirm.

6. Type reboot and press Enter.
7. Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

8. If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Experience: I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried following your instructions. When I hold down Control+S at the chime/grey screen, my computer restarts as usual. Am I holding too long, not long enough? What should I be seeing on the screen? When & where do I type sh /etc/rc? Should there be a window & will it show up on the screen when I type it or does it trigger a window in which I should type the password XXXXX?
Hello, just immediately after you turn on thecomputer hold down COMMAND and S (do NOT press Control, you must press COMMAND and S together). Please keep me posted.

The Command key looks like one of the following pictures

http://www.fixmysadmac.com/uploads/1/1/3/3/113343/7926633_orig.jpg

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1216/Mac%20Command.png

You must press the Command and the S buttons together.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think my password XXXXX was accepted. Thank you. XXXXX can't seem to download Adobe Flash Player update with it. Is this usual?
Suggestion: For un-savvy computer users, remember to indicate each and every time a person needs to hit enter/return.
Thank you. I helped you 138 days ago but I wasn't paid yet because you haven't clicked ACCEPT. The only way for me to be paid from justanswer.com is when you click the green Accept button. Honestly, I think that if we have solved the password XXXXX then you should click Accept. Thank you.

In order to download the flash player please click here -----> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download it from there .

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit / debit / or PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci