MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Why wont my Front Row application connect to the internet

Customer Question

Why won't my Front Row application connect to the internet since I installed Snow Leapard and how do I fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Are you able to connect to the Internet normally through Safari?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

II will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have version Mac os x 10.6.7, Yes I can connect to the internet through safari but I have firefox set as my default browser. The Front row application will not connect to the internet since I installed snow Leapard I get an alert that says i am not connected to the internet but I am.
Thanks for your reply. My apologies for the delay, I performed a few tests on my Intel iMac with Mac OS X 10.6.7 installed.

So here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue:

• From your desktop, click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Home from the drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, this file:
com.apple.Photobooth.plist

Once you have removed these files, then click the back button on your open Finder window. This will return you to the Library view.

• Locate and Trash the folder entitled Caches

Once you have done that, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select Logout <username>, so you can log out of your user account.

*Once you are logged out, simply log back in. This action will restore all the files and folders you just trashed, with new copies of each.

*Now launch Photobooth again and try to send one of your captured photos via email again.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

I will be watching for your reply.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Terry does it matter what internet browser i am using? I have firefox, safari and chrome. I believe before i installed snow leopard i was using safari
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am confused I wasn't having trouble with photo booth but the front row application
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I try and play movie trailers in the Front Row I get an alert which says "your computer is not connected to the internet. Check your network settings and try again".
My apologies for my dyslexic mistake!

I just realized I was looking at troubleshooting PhotoBooth instead of Front Row.

I have re-calibrated my steps and here are some steps you can try for resolving Front Row not allowing you to connect to the Internet and view your videos.

What I would like you to do, is repeat the steps in first answer I provided you,
but when removing the plist to the Trash, instead of com.apple.PhotoBooth.plist
put in the Trash, this file: com.apple.frontrow.plist

- As well in accordance with my first instructions for you, after you place the Caches folder (located in the Library folder) into the Trash, then you need to perform this last procedure below, before attempting to test out Front Row once again.

-RUN DISK UTILITY FIRST-

Go to Finder Menu bar
• Click Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility app.
• Click on Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
this volume to.)
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions"

*Let Disk Utility run this repair permissions until completion

Once Disk Utility is complete and there are no errors in red in the completion summary (if there are errors listed in red, re-run DU to see if those error will clear- if they don't reply back to this post right away and let me know what the exact error message is), quit Disk Utility.

• Now launch Front Row and determine, if you can view the Theatrical Trailers and to watch and see if that failure to connect to the Internet issue, does not appear again.

Sorry again for my application mix-up!

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I will be watching for your reply.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just tried and when i go to front row theatrical trailers it still gives me the message that the computer is not connected to the internet.
Ok here is what I want you to try next, and as basic as it seems, sometimes the second time can be a charm.

I want you to re-download and install:
Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update Combo

Because Front Row is one of the built-in applications of the Mac OS X platform, any OS X update impacts the functionality and performance of those built-in applications as well as resolve bugs which plagued previous version prior to this update.

So try this procedure and once your Mac reboots try Front Row once again.

Let me know if this is the answer we have been looking for. So please keep me posted and I thank very much again for being so patient with me.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I installed snow leopard again and front row still gives me a alert which says the computer is not connected to the internet.
Thanks for the update.

Do you have any Anti-virus or security software for Mac on your system, like Norton Anti-virus, or McAfee or any other 3rd party anti-virus or firewall software?

Also are you connected to the Internet wirelessly or via Ethernet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have 3rd party anti-virus or firewall software that I know of. At least I did not install it. I an wireless I l have airport extreem wireless base station.
Thank you so much for following back up with me today- I was hoping I did not lose you from last night. After my last post to you, I was still looking into any previously known issues with Front Row acting like this, with the not being able to connect to the Internet error messsages when in fact you are actively online.

There appears to be an issue with the wireless connection and Front Row with AirPort base stations attached to the Mac computer.

So let's try this approach to fixing this:

First backup your network settings.
• To do this open up a new Finder window and from the Finder menu bar
click on File>New Folder and when the folder is on the desktop, name it "Network Backup Files"

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Locate these files and move these files to the new "Network Backup Files" folder you just made:

com.apple.network.identification.plist
com.apple.smb.server.plist

• Click the back arrow on the Finder window and go back to the Library view
• Locate and open System Configuration folder and remove these two files also to the new "Network Backup Files" folder:

preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist

Once you have done this, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select Logout <username>, so you can log out of your user account.

*After you are logged out, simply log back in. This action will restore all the network files you just moved to the new folder, with new network files of each.

• Next, re-configure your network settings in System Preferences>Network>Airport, just make sure you have a valid IP Address displaying.

Once you have done this, then attempt to launch Front Row and try to view the Theatrical Trailers again.

Hopefully this will work. I will be watching for your next reply.

Thanks again!

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have com.apple.network.identification.plist or com.apple.smb.server.plist in the in the preference file.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just another note. The front row application worked well with airport before snow leapard was installed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also i cannot find System Configuration folder in Library.
Thanks for your patience.

I want you to take a look at this article from Apple regarding Front Row and the Internet not connected error message.

Front Row: "Your computer is not connected to the Internet. Check your network settings and try again" message

Believe it or not, this is all Apple actually says about this issue.

Let me know if this helps.

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but why does my mac not have the files you wanted me to move to back up folder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for all you time Terry. I will read the link. It is down right now. I won't be on line for a while as I am leaving for vacation for a week.
No worries, and thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not the end of the session, especially if you still have questions or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again if the last procedure I provided you does not work or, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Terry I am unable to get on the above link. I have been trying since yesterday.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I clicked on the link but it is in Spanish.
Not sure how that happened, but I can assure you this link I provided was directly from Apple.com's support pages.

Here it is again:

This is all the Apple provides for resolving the issue with Front Row and the not connected to Internet error message.

If this article does not help, then the only option you would have to correct this, would be to re-install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard over the current version of Mac OS X 10.6.7.

This re-installation will not damage or remove any of your user accounts, it will just overwrite the existing Snow Leopard directory with a fresh new copy of 10.6. You can then update to Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update Combo for now, and test Front Row to see if it now works normally.

If the Front Row application finally works with this procedure, then do not update to Mac OS X 10.6.7 until Apple comes with a newer version update (10.6.8 which will more than likely resolve the bug in Front Row, if the issue is with the 10.6.7 update- This is speculation of course).

These are the final options I can provide for this issue, so I hope either of these methods
will help.

Please update me as you have, and thanks for coming back online to let me know where you are in the process.

Regards,

-Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It worked! Ye!
Fantastic!

I was really hoping this would be the fix, because it was the last two options I could think and reference for you. Very glad you have a resolution!

Thank you for all of your patience and fortitute in allowing me to assist you on this issue.

If we can be of service again, please, do not hesitate to consult with JustAnswer.com for your Mac questions.

Best Regards,

- Terry
("Mactechtrainer")