Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Entourage (Office 2008 Student and Teacher) keeps crashing

Entourage (Office 2008 Student and Teacher) keeps crashing on me, and now it's frozen. I need to re-install, I assume, but am not sure how to do this without losing my emails. Running Mac OSX 10.6.6 Please advise.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
version 10.6.6
2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Disk is fine (just had new hard drive installed a couple of weeks ago), am currently repairing permissions
Did you Verify Disk anyway? If so Quit Entourage then hold down Option and open Entourage, Rebuild the Database.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
have done everything you suggested - it took ages. but i am still havng the same problem with entourage.
Ok open Word and go to Help / Check for Updates then go to the Apple logo and Run Software Update. I have to sign off for tonight can we continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, installing update. we can continue tomorrow, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have installed the update for office 2008, restarted computer, repaired permissions, rebuilt entourage database. entourage launches, but i can't get control of the window. the little rainbow wheel just keeps turning. there was one message in the outbox when this whole thing started, and entourage is trying to send it, but it is not going out. i have to use force quit.

i also downloaded an update to my OS, and am now running 10.6.7. restarted computer again, repaired permissions again. checked database, and it's fine, don't need to rebuild it.

what's next?
Try holding down the Shift key when starting Entourage. This disables any
schedule that might be running at startup (such as Send & Receive All) and
should give you the opportunity to delete the message from the outbox.Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that worked. thank you.
Great!