Mike, Mac Maestro
Experience:  Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified
50721714

I forgot to save a document i was working on for class. Is

Customer Question

I forgot to save a document i was working on for class. Is there anyway to recover it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Mike :

Hi - I'm happy to help with your Mac issue. Please remember to Accept when we are completely finished and you are satisfied with my answer.

Mike :

What program and version were you creating it in? If in MS Word and autosave is on, yes. Otherwise, no. Sorry!

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

How do I know if autosave is on?

Mike :

What version of office are you using?

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

Sorry i am not quite sure as it for my husband. All I know is it is a mac desktop with microsoft word. How do I findout?

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

2007?

Mike :

Go Into Word's Preferences. Look in the second section called Output and Sharing. Click on Save

Mike :

See if the Save AutoRecover info,,,, is checked and if the timeframe will overlap your last work on that file

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

i don't see anything titled Output andSharing. :(

Mike :

Look in About Microsoft Word and tell me the version.

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

2008 12.2.8

Mike :

So when you load Word, do you see Word on the top menu bar? Click it and choose preferences

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

yes

Mike :

Outout and Sharing is on the second row

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

ah yes...i do see it

Mike :

Save is just below that heading

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

Ok what next?

Mike :

Is Auto Revover checked on?

Mike :

*Auto Recover

Mike :

If so here is what you need to do:

Mike :

Finding AutoRecovered files in Mac OS X

Word for Mac OS X saves the AutoRecovered file as AutoRecover save of filename, where filename is the name of the document on which you were working. The default AutoRecover location is:

/Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office version AutoRecovery/Autorecovery save of filename

Replace username with the short name of your account in Mac OS X, Office version with the version of Office you have, and filename with the name of the document. If it's not there, try searching for it with Spotlight, which you can access from the magnifying glass icon in the top right of the Finder menu bar. Once you find the file, drag it to the Desktop. Double-click it, or, from Word's File menu, choose Open... to browse to and open the file.

Mike :

If you never saved it, it might not have created an Auto Recover version. Sorry, that is all I can do for you at this time. If Word didn't save it for you, I'm afraid it's gone. For the future, make sure you do a save at the beginning, that you have the AutoRecover on, and maybe shorten the interval from the default 10 minutes. Hope this has helped some, and that you'll accept my answer.

Mike :

Hello?

Mike :

Any luck?

JACUSTOMER-a53f6czf- :

Not yet still trying. Will let you know. You're chatting with someone that is not exactly knowlegable with computer lingp! sorry

Mike :

OK - Any progress?