OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Why cant I boot from the Snow leopard CD that came with my

Why can't I boot from the Snow leopard CD that came with my iMac.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Britton. You don't need to press the option key -- press and hold the 'C' key (no other keys) immediately after powering up your Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't hold down the "C" key and the option key at the same time. I held down the "C" key whenile starting up and when that didn't work I held down the option key while starting up to selct what start up disc I wanted to use. Neither worked. I just got an Apple logo page and nothing else. I left the computer starting up with the "C" key depressed for about 30 minutes and nothing.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
I understand, thanks for clarifying. That said, are you currently able to boot into Mac OS X?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, just not from the CD
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Okay, try this:

Boot into your Mac like you normally do, then insert the Snow Leopard DVD into into the drive.

Next, open a Finder window (skip this step if a Finder window automatically opened showing the contents of the DVD when you inserted it into the drive) by clicking the blue smiley face on the dock (usually bottom left corner of the screen)

When the Finder window opens, double-click the icon for the Snow Leopard DVD in the left-hand pane of the Finder window -- you should now be looking at the contents of the Snow Leopard DVD.

In this window, there should be an Install or Restore Icon, double-click this icon and follow the steps to reboot your system. Even if your original intention was not to restore or reinstall Mac OS X, clicking this icon will simply allow you to boot from the DVD. From there, you can do whatever you originally set out to do.

Let me know how it goes, I want to make sure you get the help you were looking for.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All I got was a gray screen with an small gray Apple logo. No windmill.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me some more detail please? Describe everything you did and what the outcome was.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did everthing you described in your preceding answer. It's just noy working.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
I suspect you have either a bad DVD or a failing DVD drive on your Mac. Do you have another Mac that you can try booting from using the DVD? Do you have another set of discs that you can try booting from using the same Mac? Lastly, how old is the Snow Leopard disc (i.e. brand new, came with the computer, etc...) and are there any visible scratches on the disc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My iMac and the CD are only one month . No visible scratches. I have another Mac, but it's a G5 and not compatible with the CD, no Intel inside. Do you know how I go about getting another CD?
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
This is pretty bizarre -- you've basically attempted to boot from CD from every way possible. That said, Apple retails the Snow Leopard DVD ($30). However, given that your machine is only one month old, I would not advise purchasing it just yet. Is there an Apple store nearby? If so, I would pay them a visit and let them know what's going on, they'll probably just give you a new Snow Leopard disc (especially since it didn't work to begin with). At this point, you've exhausted your other options unless you can find another machine or disc to do some testing of the drive / disc. Be prepared to bring your iMac with you -- they may want to have a look at the drive to rule-out a hardware problem.
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin