OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have a Mac version 6 software. I am trying to install my

Customer Question

I have a Mac version 6 software. I am trying to install my Adobe software but it wants a password. I have typed my password XXXXX times and it won't let me through. Please give me an answer that allows me to proceed.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer:

Yes!

OSXpert :

Good deal, it sounds like we need to reset your password

OSXpert :

Do you have the original Mac OS X install discs that came with your Mac?

Customer:

Could you "hear"me? :-)

OSXpert :

Not sure what you mean. I can "see" what you're typing

Customer:

In reply to your question, no. I do not still have those discs.

OSXpert :

Bummer, those are going to be necessary to getting your password. However, first tell me the version of Mac OS X that you're running. Click the Apple logo (upper left corner of the screen) and click "About This Mac"

Customer:

I was just being funny on the question I asked about "hearing ". Sorry.

OSXpert :

Ahh, lol, I see. Sorry, people don't usually joke around during these chats. They're often times frustrated and angry -- so I usually get right to the point. In any case, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX humor goes a long way :)

Customer:

2.66 GHz Intel core 2 Duo Memory 2 G 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OSXpert :

Great, thanks. And which version of Mac OS X does it give you in that same window?

Customer:

10.6.6 Is that ok?

OSXpert :

Yes, that's perfect, thanks.

OSXpert :

Is there any way you can get that disc back? It will really make things easier. Otherwise, consider purchasing one ($30) as it will probably come in handy later on as well

Customer:

What would the disc say ?

OSXpert :

It should be a whitish-grey colored disc and it might say something like "Mac OS X Install DVD" or something along those lines. It should be the only (or one of two) discs that came with your Mac originally

Customer:

Don't worry ab out what I said: I will buy it and get rid of the problem? What do you think?

OSXpert :

hmm, not sure. What do you mean?

Customer:

I'm taking you up on the offer to sell me a disc for $30. so I can solve this problem. I NEED to solve this problem.

OSXpert :

Oh, I see. I don't sell the disc...but the Apple store and many popular electronics retailers do. Do you have an Apple store / Best Buy / Frys near by?

Customer:

No, not one that would be able to help me. What will I do with the disc? Does it have a universal password XXXXX something?

Customer:

And if I went to a Best Buy, what would I ask them for?

Customer:

are you still there?

OSXpert :

yes, sorry. one second...

Customer:

I have an appointment in about 30 minutes. I HAVE to go there. Are we near through or do I need to check in with you later?

OSXpert :

Sorry about that -- when you go to Best Buy, ask them for a Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) DVD

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
When you get the disc, put it into your Mac, reboot and when it starts to boot, hold the 'C' key on the keyboard. This cause your Mac to boot from the CD.

This web site will help you once you get your system booted from the CD...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

Look under the section "Resetting the original administrator account password"

Let me know how it goes, I want to make sure you get this problem resolved and that you are satisfied with the information that you receive.