OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Can I get Java 1.6 without paying $99/yer for a Developer membership

Customer Question

Can I get Java 1.6 without paying $99/yer for a Developer membership? I have a MacBook with 10.5.8. Tahnks! Pam
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer:

Yes

OSXpert :

Good deal, can you tell me more about your situation, what exactly are you trying to do? The Java SDK is free...

Customer:

I am a Java developer. In the past, I was able to go to developer.apple.com, log in, and see my assets, and what else was available (e.g., Java updates, XCode updates, Developer tools, etc). Now, when I go to the same site...

Customer:

I don't see anything of the kind. It appears that I need to buy a $99/year membership, and it's not even clear to me whether or not I will get Java 1.6 if I do so

Customer:

So where do I get the Java SDK for Mac?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I accidentally accepted before we were done - the accept button is all too easy to click!!! can you say more?
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I am still here...
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
Also, when you download the XCode Developer Suite, Java support will come along with it. The XCode Suite is free, you just need to login with your Apple ID here...

http://developer.apple.com/xcode/
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
XCode 4 is definitely not free, I'm downloading XCode 3 to see whether Java 1.6 is there, and am going to check on the price of XCode 4.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
XCode 4 is available only through the Mac App Store, which is only available for Snow Leopard users. My computer is too old for Snow Leopard, so I think we've gone about as far as we can go with this. Thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
Bummer, I just realized that. However, consider the 10.6 upgrade, it may run better than you expect and is only going to run you $30. Then you'll at least have access to XCode 4. Xcode 4 is $5
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would have done the 10.6 upgrade in a heartbeat, but my machine is vintage 2006, and I was not under the impression that it could run Snow Leopard.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
Well, the biggest "hard requirement" for 10.6 is an Intel Mac. The installer may complain to you if you have less than 1GB of RAM or less than ~5GB of available space on your hard drive. Otherwise, it should install fine and will likely speed up certain activities. That said, I see no reason why you can't run 10.6 (confirm you are running a Macbook, thus with an Intel CPU)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is true, it is a MacBook. I will give it another try. I can no longer remember the results of my prior efforts.

Thanks!

Pam
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
You bet, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks!