OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have Quicken Essentials for Mac. I upgraded my operating

I have Quicken Essentials for Mac. I upgraded my operating system to 10.5.8 on my iBook G4. Quicken says it doesn't support the architecture, but the box says an OS of 10.5.8 or better. I am a 10.5.8. What's the problem?

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you available?

OSXpert :

Hi, are you available?

Customer:

Yes, My name is Frank

OSXpert :

Hi Frank, I'm Britton...

OSXpert :

10.5.8 is the version of Mac OS X that you are running -- you are meeting the version requirements for Quicken Essentials. However, the architecture of your Mac refers to the CPU that's running inside. In your case, you're running a PowerPC G4 processor.

When you get an "Architecture Unsupported" error, it's because the software you're running requires an Intel-based Mac (Core 2 Duo, Core i5/i7, etc.. )

OSXpert :

Does that make sense?

OSXpert :

Unfortunately, the only work-around is to use an intel-based mac since this is a limitation of the hardware on your Mac, not its software

OSXpert :

Are you still with me?

OSXpert :

Here is a link to the System Requirements page for Quicken Essentials (click System Requirements)

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/mac-personal-financial-software.jsp

You'll see next to the "Computer" section that it requires an Intel-based Mac

Customer:

I'm speaking with my brother right now, and he says there should be a backward compatability mode. even if I DON'T have an intel processor

Customer:

Looks like I have to get another computer for Quicken

OSXpert :

He's probably thinking of the other way around using Rosetta. Rosetta allows you to run PowerPC applications on Intel machines. You are trying the opposite -- to run an Intel application on a PowerPC machine

Customer:

I thank you for your time. I think my questions are answered

OSXpert :

Good deal. Sorry I didn't have more positive news for you. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Customer:

Thank you

OSXpert :

You bet. Have a good evening