Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How do I fix my Mac mail It keeps asking for my password XXXXX

Customer Question

How do I fix my Mac mail? It keeps asking for my password XXXXX just keeps cycling through my 4 screen names asking for the password.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

Which Password is it asking for ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

woootsie1245

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
No..not the password, i mean Which password ? Administrator password or Email password ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is the exact message: < The POP server "pop.att.yahoo.com" rejected the password for user "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" Please re-enter your password, or cancel.> My mail goes offline immediately upon opening it up. I get this message, put in the password and then another box opens for my next screen name. (I have 4) and then just keeps cycling through the 4 names as I keep entering the password. I have tried all 3 versions of my password (in case I have it wrong) and none work. It just keeps cycling through and will not allow me to send mail.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like the Keychain Database is corrupted. We can try to fix the Keychain and see if that works or not..
  1. Close Mail and Go to Applications/Utilities and open Keychain Access
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access and Restart your computer. (All the password under keychain will reset)
  6. Open Mail and see if it working or not.

Let me know if that didn't worked...Only click accept after it worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Problem is not fixed.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Can you access your email through Safari ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can access mail through the web and believe it shows mail that has come in that does not show up when I view all 4 mailboxes on my native Mac mail.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We can reset the Preferences of your Mail and see if that works or not.. Quit Mail and Goto Macintosh HD/Users/home folder/Library/Preferences/ folder and trash com.apple.mail.plist file. Does that worked ?

(Don't empty the trash)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have to reset my mail accounts. What exactly do I put in for "Incoming Mail Server" ? Is that my email address that I had just entered in the step before this one?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
The Mail settings will reset, but you won't lose any of your Emails. Try this server : pop.att.yahoo.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Didn't work. I tried to set up my first email and got this:

Here is the response I got: <Trying to log into the POP server “pop.att.yahoo.com” has failed. Please make sure the username and password are correct. If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email.>

I have tried all combos of my user name and password and nothing is working.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Is Yahoo is your Email provider ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. It's AT&T which is Yahoo.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Try these servers;

Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.mail.yahoo.com
    Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to start over. I put in the wrong info for incoming. How do I start this up again to open my mail account?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You don't need to start over. You can change the settings from Mail menu > Preferences. You can see all the settings under Account tab.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The box disappeared so I don't have anything up on the screen now. How do I get back to the mail set up?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Close Mail and re-open it. Does that worked ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that got me back to the mail set up but now I'm back to the same problem.

<Trying to log into the POP server “pop.mail.yahoo.com” has failed. Please make sure the username and password are correct. If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email.>

When I put in smtp.mail.yahoo.com for incoming, it moved forward.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Don't use smtp.mail.yahoo.com for incoming, it won't work. We can verify all settings are correct or not..

1. Open Mail and choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  2. Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  3. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window
  4. Click the Account Information pane.
  5. Change the Incoming Mail Server to pop.att.yahoo.com
  6. Change Incoming Port to 995
  7. From the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu, choose Edit SMTP Server list.
  8. Click on Advanced tab.
  9. Change the Outgoing server to smtp.att.yahoo.com
  10. Change the port to 465
  11. Close it.
  12. Restart Mail

Let me know if that didn't worked...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I open mail the "preferences" is not highlighted. I can't access it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Restart Mail and try again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I close mail. Open it, preferences is not highlighted, nor is anything else except for "services"

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I'm out of ideas. I will opt out and send this question to other experts.

Best Regards,