OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I just started running a dhcp server (Astaro Linux) on my local

Customer Question

I just started running a dhcp server (Astaro Linux) on my local network. All of the computers in the house (a variety, including Windows 2000, Mac Mini, and Ubuntu Linux) have no trouble getting an IP address through DHCP except my MacBook, running 10.2.1. If I place a Linksys router between the MacBook and the home network it works fine. It also works fine in my Work Network
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. What is the IP for you DHCP server?

Customer:

172.16.0.1

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think I may have lost you
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
I'm still here, but you accepted which kicked us out of chat and into Q&A mode. Next time, click "Accept" when you're satisfied with the info you've received. Anyhow...what is the IP of the router on your network?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the linksys router inside the network has ip 172.16.0.33 into local network and DHCP addresses of 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.30
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
So, just to confirm...your local address space is 192.168.1.[20-30], but the router's IP is on the 172.xxx subnet? Also, when you open the network preferences on your mac, what IP does it have next to router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just to be clear my local network is 172.16.0 and the DHCP server is 172.16.0.1 and all other PCs in the network including a Mac Mini all work perfectly. To get the MacBook to work I introduced a Linksys router into the 172.xxx subnet and the macbook is served up an IP from the Linksys. The IP next to router is 192.16.1.1
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Okay cool. I have to ask though, why are you creating two different subnets? Is there a reason you don't have your routers/switches as well as your client machines all living on the same network?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The MacBook just will not join in to my home network no matter what I try, Dhcp, fixed IP, change the settings on the macbook ethernet card etc. The reason for creating a second subnet was merely to see if by plugging the MacBook into the Linksys is to see if it would get an IP delivered via DHCP and it does work without problems. If I then plug the MacBook back into the other subnet it will not work and I can not work out why. Giving it a fixed IP does not work neither does DHCP but all other laptops PCs work fine only the MacBook has a problem. There are a number of similar posts out there but no fix that I can see.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Are you familiar with terminal commands? I'd like to remove the router from in between the Macbook and the rest of the network and see if we can ping the DHCP server, as well as the main router/switch if we assign a static IP address.

However, I must make a disclaimer. This is going to be increddibly difficult without being able to speak with you verbally. I may have to have your deposit refunded simply to spare you the frustration of having to use this Q&A session as our means of communication.

I feel confident that I can solve this, as I have dealt with a number of network issues on Unix systems in the past. But, without being able to work over the phone, it may become extremely difficult. Unfortunately, Justanswer.com will not allow me to work with you over the phone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am familiar with terminal commands and have assigned a fixed IP address can not ping the DHCP server or
the router and get the following results.
the ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 22
ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 23
Request timeout for icmp_seq 24
Request timeout for icmp_seq 25
Request timeout for icmp_seq 26
Request timeout for icmp_seq 27
I now have to sign out but thanks for you help thus far
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Cool, thanks. Next, please read me all of the details regarding your network setup. Click "Advanced..." in the Network Preferences pane, give me all of the info from this window.