OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I downloaded the new version and it wiped out all my contacts

I downloaded the "new version" and it wiped out all my contacts and the old version. How can I get the old one back with my contacts? HELP.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Can you tell me more about your situation? The more detail the better

Customer:

I downloaded the new version 5.0.0.7994 when I was finished the response was (requires relaunching skype) I did and it said my system does not support it. I would have to go to system pref then displays then colors to millions. I did not do it. I lost my old version and all my contacts.

Customer:

I just want the old system back. PLEASE.

OSXpert :

Click the apple logo in the upper-left hand corner, select "About this Mac" and tell me the processor type and the version of Mac OS X

Customer:

2.1 GHz Version 10.5.8

OSXpert :

I need the type of the processor, not just the speed. It should say it right next to the speed (2.1 GHz)

Customer:

I have been reading comments about this new version and no one seems to like it. Too many glitches.

Customer:

Power PC G5

OSXpert :

Yes, that's the problem. The newest version of Skype only supports Intel Macs. You'll have to downgrade Skype back to the older version

OSXpert :

First, open the Applications folder. Locate the Skype icon in the folder and drag it to the trash

Customer:

How do I do that now?

OSXpert :

OSXpert :

Let me know when you get that far

Customer:

Sorry I had an interruption

OSXpert :

no worries

Customer:

Done

OSXpert :

next, go to this site:

http://mac.brothersoft.com/skype-2.8-download.html

and click "Download now"

OSXpert :

Let me know when it finishes

Customer:

Done

OSXpert :

Dobule-click the .dmg file that you just downloaded to start installing the older version of skype

Customer:

It just shows Skype logo and an app folder Did I mess it up?

Customer:

It just shows the Skype logo and an app folder. Did I mess it up?

OSXpert :

Nope, you're good. Drag the Skype logo over to the "App" folder

OSXpert :

This is how you install software on a Mac

Customer:

Done and pinged.

OSXpert :

okay, good. Now, go to the Applications folder in Finder again, locate the Skype icon and double-click it

Customer:

Oh THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX for your help and PATIENCE!

OSXpert :

no problem

OSXpert :

Is everything working the way it was before now?

Customer:

Have a GREAT day and I hope all other problems are easy ones!!!

Customer:

Yes, it is all there and I am sooooo happy!

OSXpert :

Thanks :) I hope you have a great day as well, glad I was able to help.

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin