OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

AFTER SEVERAL YEARS, IVE SWITCHED FROM WINDOWS TO MAC OSX.

AFTER SEVERAL YEARS, I'VE SWITCHED FROM WINDOWS TO MAC OSX. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO WITH MY ZIP?
REGARDS, RICHARD
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Can you tell me more about your situation? Do you mean a zip file, zip drive, the more detail the better.

Customer:

ZIP DRIVE WINDOWS TO OSX

OSXpert :

Please turn off caps-lock. I can see your text in lower case without any issues. How does the zip drive plug into your Windows machine (USB, Parallel, etc...)?

Customer:

usb

Customer:

I no longer have a windows machine, I have a mac book

OSXpert :

Okay, plug the Zip drive into your Mac. Then click the blue smiley face icon on the dock (probably near the lower left-hand corner of the screen)

OSXpert :

A new window should open up, look on the left hand pane. There should be an entry for your zip drive

Customer:

not sure what im looking for after clicking smiley face

Customer:

left pane? on the dock?

Customer:

are we still in chat?

Customer:

Am I looking for an icon?

OSXpert :

yes, I'm still here

OSXpert :

Do you see the window that popped up after clicking the smiley face?

Customer:

no

OSXpert :

Have you located the smiley face on the dock? The dock is the collection of icons at the bottom of the screen

OSXpert :

One of them is a blue smiley face

Customer:

Yes, clicked the face, and the down loads folder appeared.

OSXpert :

I have to run to a meeting. I'll be back in an hour or so. I may have to let another expert pick this up while I am gone. If nobody does, I will resume this when I get back from my meeting.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

I have to go too. If you can e-mail me aXXX@XXXXXX.XXX I would appreciate it "pane" sounds like a windows term. Regards,Richard

OSXpert :

Let me know when you're back online and I'll give you a hand getting this working

Customer:

I'm here. let's get it done. Rich

Customer:

Is any OSX tech available? You have my deposit, let's do the job please.

OSXpert :

Rich, are you available?

Customer:

Any OSX tech available?

Customer:

Sorry I'm not being clear. I now have an OXS operating system. My previous use of ZIP was for both Microsoft file storage, and later MacClassic storage, neither of which I use anymore I just want to use my zip with OSX. I hoped it would be just writing over old files. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

My Zip drive is not showing up in Devices Connected, perhaps it is broken, though the lights are on and the drive is plugged into the computer. Must be broken. Can we just call the whole session off? Sorry for the trouble.

Customer:

Zip Drive is plugged into my computer, lights are on, but doesn't register on Devices Connected on my OSX. Obsolete or broken Drive? Can we just call the whole session off? Cancel the credit card charge? I'll look for another medium. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

OSXpert :

Hi Richard. I would suggest abandoning the Zip drive and purchasing a USB Flash drive. They are solid state (no moving parts, unlike your Zip drive) and will be much more reliable. They are inexpensive and much more portable than a Zip drive. Here is an example of a good one from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ36-016G-A11/dp/B001T99ZTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300328654&sr=8-1

We can trouble-shoot your Zip drive and probably get it working, however, it's probably not worth the frustration it will cause you if you're only looking to use it as opposed to trying to recover files from it.

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin