Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

how do I transfer my thunderbird email from one mac to another

how do I transfer my thunderbird email from one mac to another with all my old emails with attachments
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

things you'll need: Removable storage
  1. Launch Thunderbird on the "old" Mac.
  2. Empty your Trash and Junk folders for each of your email accounts. This will make moving your settings a little faster.
  3. Close Thunderbird.
  4. Locate your Default Thunderbird Profile folder named "XXXXXX.default" where the X's are a random mix of numbers and letters. On a Mac running OS X it's located in your Home folder (or if you have multiple users on your Mac, your user account's folder) > Library > Thunderbird > Profiles. Since it's possible to use multiple profiles on one installation of Thunderbird, you may have more than one.
  5. Copy all the files in the Default folder to your removable storage or a spot on the network, or directly to the new computer over the network. You can also choose to create a zip file and then move the one zip file. Compress the folders in the Default folder by selecting all the items in the folder, right-clicking and selecting "Create Archive of x Items" or "Compress x Items" (depending on which version of OS X you're running).
  6. Start up the "new" Mac running Mac OS X and download, install & launch Thunderbird. By launching Thunderbird, the program will create a new Default Profile in Home > Library > Thunderbird > Profiles.
  7. Shut down Thunderbird.
  8. Move (and unzip if you've made an archive) the contents of the Default folder from the "old" Mac to the "new" Mac's Default Profile for Thunderbird. Again, the Default Profile folder is located in Home > Library > Thunderbird > Profiles and is named "XXXXXXX.default" where the X's stand for random characters.
  9. Relaunch Thunderbird--your old settings and email are ready for use in this new installation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike,
I also found this on for free, word for word, but it wasn't helpful to me. I want to transfer from Mac to Mac. Isn't there an easier method ? Perhaps through Firewire ?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well yes correct directions don't change. You can just try copying the preferences and the TB folder over and see if that work first. Quit TB on all Macs. Make sure you have the same version on both. Go to Macintosh HD /Users/yourusername/Library/ copy the folder Thunderbird to the same place on the new Mac and also: Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/ copy org.mozilla.thunderbird.plist to the same folder on the new Mac. Start TB.