OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

i have been watching a live eagle cam for several days--for

i have been watching a live eagle cam for several days--for the last two days i can not receive a picture- the message says it is not available- i talked to the site(wvec.com) and they told me the camera is running and other people here are getting the pictures they told me to refresh my screen several times and the would help-how do i do that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX are you available?

Customer:

yes

OSXpert :

What site is it that you're trying to view?

Type it here, do not include the www.

Customer:

wvec.com

OSXpert :

okay, one second while I check it out

Customer:

okay- i will wait

OSXpert :

okay, so , you click the "Eagle Cam, Watch Now" graphic on the left side of the web page, you should get a window in the middle of the screen next -- confirm this for me.

Customer:

thats is correct

OSXpert :

okay, there should be a "Play" button (triangle pointing to the right, like on a VCR) near the bottom of the window, confirm for me that you have clicked this button

Customer:

i have clicked that button

OSXpert :

okay, what happens next? Are you just getting a single frame of the eagle's nest on the screen?

Customer:

i don't get a picture--i get a message saying the picture is not available at this time (i'm not sure exactly what it says,but something like that)--i spoke to the people at the site(norfolk botanicle garden) they said it was working and i should refresh my screen

OSXpert :

You might be missing a plug-in for your browser, let me take a look, hang on

OSXpert :

Looks like the video stream of the eagle plays using Flash. Do you recall having installed Adobe Flash on your computer?

Customer:

i don't know--did i mention that i have been watching this live cam for about one week with no problem

OSXpert :

No, you didn't mention that. Tell me more -- did it just stop working one day? If so, what were you doing when it quit, etc... The more detail the better

Customer:

i watched it sunday the 6th of march-- when i turned it on monday the 7th i could not get it --it would not come on all day monday and t uesday--it did not quit while it was running. ( in detail--i went to the site clicked the arrow and got the message that the site was not available. are you getting a live picture?

OSXpert :

Yes, I am watching the Eagle roll around on the egg -- it's pretty cool

OSXpert :

Let's try resetting Safari -- first, bookmark this site so you can come back to this chat session

Customer:

okay i will- how do i reset safari ?- is it in the safari drop down menu

OSXpert :

yes, I see you stepped out of the chat. Did you reset safari?

Customer:

do i close this window before resetting or choose reset while the widow is open?

OSXpert :

Make sure all of the boxes are checked, then choose reset with this window open. Then come back to this page

OSXpert :

Did you try viewing the eagle cam?

Customer:

okay--i reset safari- i lost my contact with you-the bookmark took me to the home page--i went to my email and found you again.

Customer:

whats next?

Customer:

i am afraid to close this page again because its hard to get back to it

OSXpert :

okay cool, press command+n (command may have an Apple logo on it) to open a new window, it will appear on top of this window. You can switch back and forth between them using the mouse

OSXpert :

In the new window, try to view the eagle cam

Customer:

it still says unavailabe--i'm discourage--i love this site-eggs are due to start hayching on saturday or there about

OSXpert :

Let's try a different browser -- do you know how to install software on a mac?

Customer:

no- but i can follow directions

OSXpert :

okay, go this site, again in a new window...

http://www.google.com/chrome

OSXpert :

then click "Download Google Chrome" in the upper-right corner

OSXpert :

Keep me posted on your progress so I don't get too far ahead

Customer:

okay i downloaded google chrome--it told me to double click on google chrome icon in my application folder but its not there

Customer:

thank you for your patience i appriciate it

OSXpert :

Sure thing -- sorry, I had to step away and use the bathroom

OSXpert :

Open a Finder window (blue smiley face on the dock at the bottom of the screen)

OSXpert :

then go to the "Downloads" folder

Customer:

there is no downloads folder there

OSXpert :

which version of Mac OS X are you using?

OSXpert :

Click the Apple logo in the upper-left corner, then click about this mac

Customer:

mac os x 10.4.11

OSXpert :

okay, do you have a Finder window open?

Customer:

yes

OSXpert :

click your name (login name on the left-hand pane of the window)

OSXpert :

Then, look for a folder called "Downloads" on the right side of the window

Customer:

there is no downloads folder there

OSXpert :

hmmm, click the safari menu (top right corner)

OSXpert :

then click "preferences", what does it say next to "Save Downloaded Files To"

OSXpert :

top left-corner, sorry

Customer:

the safari menu is in the left top corner-(in case that makes a difference) i'm going to click on it now

OSXpert :

Yes, my mistake, top-left corner

Customer:

desktop

OSXpert :

okay cool, click the desktop in the finder window

OSXpert :

Then, you should see the file you downloaded (chrome)

Customer:

it is not there--should i try to down load it again

OSXpert :

no, i don't think you need to...can you move the windows around so you can see the desktop? See if you can see the file there

OSXpert :

If you still can't see it, we can try something else -- is the download window from Safari still open?

Customer:

its not there --no the window is not open- sorry--how do i do that again

OSXpert :

http://www.google.com/chrome

Go to this website, then click "Download Google Chrome" again

OSXpert :

You may have to click "Agree" next -- do so and a small window should appear with your download

OSXpert :

Remember to go to the site in a new window so you don't lose this chat session

OSXpert :

Keep me posted...

OSXpert :

How are we doing?

Customer:

ok it is downloaded--i don't think it really was last time because this took longer--now it wants me to do something else -to install the down load or launch it???

OSXpert :

install it

Customer:

ok it says it should be in my application menu--how do i go there again?

OSXpert :

click Finder->Go->Applications

OSXpert :

You should see an icon for Chrome when you open the "Applications" folder

Customer:

it is there--guess what--it says i can not use google chrome with this version of mac osx

Customer:

can i upgrade

OSXpert :

Bummer, one thing after another...

OSXpert :

Firefox should work... it'll be easier than upgrading Mac OS X

Customer:

it also told me that when i tried to install itunes 10.5 and my shuffle

Customer:

ok

OSXpert :

Go to this site (again in a new window)

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

OSXpert :

Download and install Firefox in the same manner that you just did with Chrome

Customer:

ok its downloading should take 20-30 min i'll let you know

OSXpert :

sounds good

Customer:

i have downloaded firefox -put it in the applications folder and dgragged it to the doc as told by the screen

Customer:

now what

OSXpert :

okay, click the FireFox icon

Customer:

it says to click on safari to import everything to firefox--ok

OSXpert :

click ok

OSXpert :

when Firefox opens, you should get a browser window (looks like Safari) -- type in the eagle cam website in the bar at the top -- just like you did in Safari

Customer:

then on firefox start--?the other op is import home page frm.safari--its wants me to click firefox start

OSXpert :

yes, start firefox

Customer:

it wants me to make firefox my default browser

OSXpert :

say no for now

Customer:

ok-- now?

OSXpert :

in the bar at the top (where you type in websites...just like in Safari), go to www.wvec.com and see if you can see the eagle cam

Customer:

ok here goes

OSXpert :

good deal, cross your fingers :)

Customer:

no luck---you have been so great to try to help me--i don't know what to do next i guess just give up trying

OSXpert :

thanks....I don't want to leave you hanging though. Do you want to try something else?

Customer:

sure

OSXpert :

k, go to this site....

Customer:

when they said to refresh my screen or window or whatever they said what did they mean

OSXpert :

and download Adobe Flash Player

OSXpert :

It means to reload the webpage...you are effectively refreshing each time you close the browser (firefox, safari, etc...) and navigate to www.wvec.com

Customer:

i will have close all windows to install the down load. can i get back to you through the email--last time when i bookmarked this page it came back as the home page and i could'nt find you

Customer:

yes--but when i can back to it it was the home page and this page could not be opened

OSXpert :

Is there a link in your email that you can follow? Is that how you got back here last time?

Customer:

i just choose bookmark this page no add bookmark-that all that is offered

OSXpert :

yeah, "bookmark this page" is fine... it does the same thing

Customer:

yes i got back to you through the link in the email

OSXpert :

Come back to me through the email link -- sounds like it will be easier

Customer:

ok

OSXpert :

I have a meeting in 5 minutes...once you close this window, install Flash (that you just downloaded), restart Safari and come back here

OSXpert :

Then open a new page (command+n) and go to www.wvec.com -- try to view the Eagle cam

OSXpert :

I will be away in a meeting for at least 30 minutes

OSXpert :

Any updates?

Customer:

i installed flash-at least i think i did--it instl. complete-but i can't find it anywhere--there is an icon on the desktop-but it is the installer

Customer:

not the actual icon where do i look for it to be sure it is actually there?

Customer:

still no picture at wvec.com

OSXpert :

hello again

OSXpert :

Yes, the Flash installer needs to be run (I assume you ran it and completed the installation?)

OSXpert :

There is no icon to run flash, it's embedded into Safari

Customer:

hi--i don't know if i ran it but it did say instl. was complete--i must have done something wrong because it doe'nt show up any where(only as an installer icon---but there must be some where to look to see if it is there

Customer:

i foolowed the instructions to install--there were no instructions that said run

OSXpert :

nope, if the installer said it was complete, then it's installed. There will not be anything to "click" persay, flash runs in the background behind Safari as a plug in

Customer:

the install icon is still on the desktop

Customer:

so still no picture on web cam(wvec.com ) have we run out of opptions? i do appriciate your help

OSXpert :

I'm running out of ideas, but we can try booting into safe mode -- this will essentially help clear out old files (cache) on the system...try this...

Customer:

ok lets try

OSXpert :

??

1.) Shutdown your Mac

2.) Press the power button on your Mac to turn it back on

3.) As soon as you hear the startup chime noise, immediately press and hold the <SHIFT> key until you see a progress indicator.

4.) Release the <SHIFT> key when you see the progress indicator -- allow your Mac to boot up.

5.) Once your Mac has booted in safe mode, reboot it and allow it to boot normally.

OSXpert :

Try this and then come back to this chat and we'll see if you can view the eagles then...

Customer:

ok its done--shall i try to look at wvec.com

OSXpert :

yes, please do

Customer:

just tried--no luck--i think we have run out of ideas-and its too dark now to see anyway.