Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cant close my word document. The little red dot to close

I can't close my "word" document. The little red dot to close it is blank. When I try to quit Word, the 'quit' part of the menu is grayed out. when I try to shut the computer down, it won't shut down until I quit Word...a vicious circle! I don't want to lose this document..what do I do?
Hit Command S, then if it saves you can force quit but there is probably a window open somewhere that is stopping it from closing unless it is frozen. Move some windows around to see.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've tried what you have said. When I hit Command S nothing happens except a beep. I am able to move things around on the desktop and access other servers e.g. Safari, so the computer doesn't seem frozen..Now what? Should I turn the computer off by pressing the off/on button, or will i lose my document? I don't mind if I lose what I just added, which is minimal; I just don't want to lose the whole thing.
Did you save it and name it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been saved and named a long time ago...I was just adding information to an already-existing document and was about to save it, when the red dot disappeared. Should I try to force quit it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm sorry...I hit 'accept' by mistake when I meant to get another answer. I'm not dissatisfied, but I got the note saying 'answer accepted' a and i still have the problem!
Then I would say go ahead and force quit do you know if you have autosave turned on? Accepting does not mean I stop helping you, if you are not satisfied you can get it back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have an autosave as far as I know...I'll try to force quit
Word has an autosave we will go over it after you restart.
I want you to do this after you restart:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was able to force quit it without losing anything. Thanks...how do I work out the one time charge from the deposit I made?
You should also run the Disk Utility as I stated in my last post and turn on Autosave in Word Preferences. You Accepted so if you are satisfied we are done.