MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

my microsoft word is frozen on my mac with all my work and

Customer Question

my microsoft word is frozen on my mac with all my work and i need to save it or print it!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What version of Microsoft Office for Mac are you using? (2011, 2008, or 2004)
• At time since the first time you created the MS Word document, have you saved the document at least 1 time before the application froze?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, I will be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its 10.6.6 and im using 2008. it has not been saved at all. i dont know if auto save is enabled either
Thanks for your reply.

I have unfortunately seen this time and time again, and the end result is never

Usually the auto save is active and enable to start saving in 10 minute intervals unless that is changed. However, if this setting has not been changed and if your document froze up before 10 minutes has past, then there will be no way to retrieve this document once you Force Quit.

There is no way Word has any memory of this document, because it has not had at least one storage of the document prior to the freezing incident.

This may not be the best way to save your document, but if you can screen shot the page you will at least have an image of the document, that you can retype into a new document, so it will not be a total loss.

To perform a regional screen shot
• Hold down the Apple Command Key, the Shift Key and the 4 key on your keyboard and the mouse pointer will turn into a cross hairs.
• Holding down the mouse button on your mouse, you can then take and start from the corner of the Word document and drag a thin transparent cover over the affected document, still holding the mouse button down, until you have as much of the Word document highlighted as possible.

• Then release the mouse and you will hear a shutter sound (like that of a camera snapping its shutter when taking a picture), of which you can then release the mouse button.
• Now look on your desktop and you will see a screen shot, dated for today.
• Double click the image and it should show you the captured image of the screen shot you took of the affected document.

That is the best you can do, especially, if whatever you wrote within that document
is not something you have committed to memory.

Aside from this, if Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 is still showing the Spinning pinwheel then you will have to Force Quit (Apple Command + Option + Esc keys) the application and unfortunately start the document up again from scratch, unless the auto save miraculously saved before the temporary fatal error (kernel panic) failed and the document locked up.

You may also want to go into Word >Preferences >Save and change the auto save to a lower time interval for quicker saving of your document.

These are truly the only options available to help you in this situation.

Thank you for your patience as I workrf to provided the clearest answer I could for you, given these difficult circumstances.

Sincerest Regards