Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

I cannot read my Email - I get to the inbox but the system

I cannot read my Email - I get to the inbox but the system will not let me see any of the communications that have been sent to me. I can send mail, but I cannot open any of the "sent" emails to re-read them. What do I do now? Have talked to a tech at Wild Blue, powered the system down including the modem, and they show everything working properly. I just tried to get into my email again (it's been a while since I tried),, and it shows two from you. However, I am still unable to open anything. This has been going on now for over 24 hours, and I am wondering if and when it will be fixed. I still can't open email to read what you sent me yesterday. Frustrating! Once again (Tuesday at 11 A.M.) I am unable to open my email. Please let me know by phone, if that's possible, what is happening with this. My phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN Since I can't open email, it is impossible to communicate that way. This is day 5 - will it ever be fixed???? Please email me as to status of the problem. Thank you.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 3 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer yet. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

This may be an OS X issue or an email server issue. We need to rule out the OS first.

First of all, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long post so I suggest printing it out for your reference. Also, it will require a USB keyboard, not a wireless keyboard.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup as well as clear out any cache here as well.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) You should have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Click the "First Aid" tab at the top and run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart and see if the works now. If it does, problem solved. If not, let me know and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

Good Luck!

If I helped, please click ACCEPT. Otherwise I do not get paid. If you still need assistance or have further questions, I'll be glad to keep working until this issue is resolved.
FEEDBACK & Bonuses are always appreciated!
PLEASE, BEFORE leaving Negative Feedback,
allow me the chance to respond here.
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience: 19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati