Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

Running a Mac G4 on OS 9.2.2 with an Epson Stylus Color 900.

Customer Question

Running a Mac G4 on OS 9.2.2 with an Epson Stylus Color 900. Usually I print from the RIP I bought for it, but when I want to clean the printer head I have to go to the Chooser & change to the generic printer.
I seem to have lost the capability to choose the generic (when I hit the icon, nothing happens) and so I can't perform the utility function.

Is there a way to re-connect [re Choose] the generic SC 900 without going through a complete reloading of old software?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Go to extensions manager and make sure the extension for your printer is checked.

I would also reset the pram. To do so do the following:

Step 1: Shutdown your computer

Step 2: Locate the following 4 keys on the keyboard: Command (Apple key) , Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 3. You must do step 3 prior to the Apple logo from appearing on the screen otherwise you must shutdown and try again.

Step 3: Turn on computer and immediately hold down the Command (Apple key ) & Option & P & R key all at the same time.

Keep holding them down. The computer will restart and on the third time you hear a chime you can let go and your computer will start up as normal.

Let me know if this works or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tom. I followed your instructions and still don't get the Chooser to select the generic icon.
By the way, in my Extensions Manager, these are my checked (and only) Epson printer items:
Epson FW Printer Driver, Epson FW Printer Expert, Epson FW Printer Family, Epson Launcher, Epson Monitor 3, Epson USB Printer Class 1, Epson USB Printer Class2, Epson USB Printer Class3, Epson USB Printer Class A
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
I'm going to opt out to see if another expert how an idea
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tom said above: <<I'm going to opt out to see if another expert how an idea>>
So I'll just wait and see if any other answer comes along. Until then, it's still open question for me.