Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cannot send or receive email

Customer Question

I cannot send or receive email
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Can you tell me the version of OS X that you are using?
I am assuming that you use the Mac Mail application to access your e-mail, is this true?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan I am 90 yrs old so don't expect to much!! I had called Verizon and they said to call you. Often times I cannot answer your questions. What does version mean? I am using a Mac Mini, I thought you could tell . I don't know what a Mac Mail is.

I still cannot get the emails to come on the screen when I click the little stamp. I get the page but nothing works after that. I am using the Dock on my MacMini .
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
The stamp is Mac Mail, I use it myself.
To find out about your Mini (I know a lot but I don't know everything), click on the Apple in the upper left corner and select 'About this Mac'.
To see those images larger click on View Image Full size.
It sounds as though your Mac needs a bit of maintenance.
There are three things that I want you to do, it will most certainly help with this problem.
One, is to repair the permissions, this link is to a PDF that explains why and how. It will open in a new window in Safari.
You can leave that open while you are doing this repair to make it easier to follow.
I also want you to bookmark this site so that you can get back to me easily, these next two steps require that you restart your Mac.

This is a pram reset, it clears out cobwebs so to speak.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.
If you have a wireless keyboard please let me know.

This next one deals with other issues, it actually involves two restarts, one to get it into safe mode and the other to get it out.
Be aware that there are some services not available while in safe mode.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

While in safe mode see if mail will open by clicking on the icon in the dock, if it does then all should be well. Now do a normal restart without holding any keys.

Please let me know the results.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
If those instructions are not clear please tell me, I do however, think that you will be fine with them.
You do, after all, have a Mac.