Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Saved Adobe Illustrator CS3 files cannot be totally retrieved

Saved Adobe Illustrator CS3 files cannot be totally retrieved on my iMac OS 10, latest version.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you have placed pictures that are not found. Can you send me one of the files?

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I clicked on the link. It asked for my username which I have forgotten. I have my new passwword.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I gave you that info:

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you have the file download yet?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I was waiting for you sorry I'll look. There is a placed graphic called Final 2.jpg that is missing you need to find that file.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is the file I downloaded to you. Do you want me to try again?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No you sent me the Illustrator file not the embedded graphic. You need to find the graphic Final 2.jpg the Illustrator file is called Inside 2.ai
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is my problem. The imbeded graphics are missing from Inside 2.ai when I retrieve it. This is the problem on the front side too. What should I do to keep the graphics when I save the file?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Embed a linked file

Rather than linking to a file that you’ve placed in a document, you can embed (or store) the file within the document. When you embed a file, you break the link to the original. Without the link, the Links panel doesn’t alert you when the original has changed, and you cannot update the file automatically.

Keep in mind that embedding a file, rather than linking to the original, increases the document file size.
  • Select a file in the Links panel, and choose Embed Image from the panel menu.
  • Select the linked artwork in the illustration window. In the Control panel, click the Embed button. The file remains in the Links panel marked with the embedded-link icon .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am having trouble unstanding this, but I'll stumble though the steps and see what happens. This will take me awhile. I'll get back to you I hope within a hour.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
That will only help you with future files you will have to find the graphics for those you did not embed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I still don't understand how to embed a file.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I gave clear direction what is the problem?