Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have an IMAC G5. I just installed Microsoft 2004 update.

I have an IMAC G5. I just installed Microsoft 2004 update.   Then it asked me to do it again so I did. My problem: I can't get my excel folders to open.   I even had someone from the office email me the regular excel doc I send them everyday and I saved it to my desktop, but it won't open either. When I double click on it, it acts like it will open and then never does.    I just had a thought and it might not matter, but I think I did the update in Firefox and the original Microsoft might have been done in Safari.  My system is MAC OSX 10.3.9.   When you figure out what has happened, please tell me how to fix it.  I work from home and send reports to the main office daily. When I click on my excel form that I save and update each day, it will just flash and never open, but excel tool bar comes up. 
10.3.9 is very old.

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.3.9
Processor 1.6 GHz Power PC G5
Memory : 256 MB DDR SDRAM
I also went to the Hard Drive like you said but it would not let me click on verify disk. It would let me click on verify disk permissions or repair disk permissions. I clicked on verify disk permissions. As far as I can tell everything is ok. It doesn't really say if I'm supposed to do repair or not. A few of the things in that says user differs.
Put the current operating system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok, Repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry. I'm not quiet understanding. I found 4 discs that came with the computer. 2 out of the 4 have something at the top that say "To start up from this disc hold down the C key as the computer starts up. I'm just not sure which one you want me to use. One says MAC OS X Install Disc 1 and the other says Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test
Also when I do this,do I have to close out all programs including this one and if so how do I get back to you if I have another question?
Just bookmark this page or go to the link in the email your receive. You want Mac Os Install disk
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. I'll give it a try and see what happens and get back to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Verify Disc was ok
Permissions Repair Complete

Now what do I do?
Does Excel open at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When you click on the excel icon in my tool bar, it will open up with it's own little tool bar, it will open up the project gallery or a blank form. However, it will not open up the excel forms I had saved in my folders that I use to work on everyday. When I open the folder and click on the excel form I want to open it flashes so fast you nearly miss it, but catch a glimpse of the bar like it is going to open the saved document and then disappears and the document never opens. Same with the one the office sent to me today and I had saved it on the desktop. Won't open so I can work on it. Flashes then just sits there. If I need to start from scratch the blank form is there. But I need the forms I had already done with the figures on them. Now what??
If you can open Excell got to File / Open and then try to select one of those files.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing. I click on the form and it shows "no preview" and I click on it again and it's like the name is XXXXX XXXXX the list with all the others but there is nothing to open.
Do not click on the form/ Open Excel and then go to File / Open
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I click file/ open, it brings up a list of all the names of the documents. When I highlight the one I want and click open again, nothing happens. One thing I just remembered. When the upgrade was finished, every time I tried to open the form and it would not let me open it, a pop up box came up that said open as a new form or cancel. I kept hitting cancel, but it would still not let me open the form so the next time the pop up box came up I hit open as new form, but it still didn't come up. The pop up box doesn't even come up anymore.
Can you send me one of the fies?

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share the company files. They are from an oil production and gauge reports.
OK I would reinstall Office. Go to Microsoft Office folder in Applications to Additional tools and run Remove Office then reinstall from disk and update as necessary.