Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a Powerbook G4 with access to my e-mail account through

Customer Question

I have a Powerbook G4 with access to my e-mail account through The Apple mail program. Last week I stopped getting e-mails and when I hit the "get mail" key it just gets locked in a loop. I use the "Activity Viewer" option to see what was happening and it seems to be stuck on one e-mail. I went into the host e-mail which is MSN and deleted some e-mails that had large attachments, and that worked only once. Since then I cannot get e-mails other than going direct to MSN.
Joe Eschenbacher
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello Joe, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Have you tried quitting Mail and reopening it? That can clear faults like this, kind of like a reset.
What version of OS X are you running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have tried quitting mail. In fact a couple of times I had to force quit because it would not quit through the normal method. The OSX version is Snow Leopard
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok, then what I suggest will sound drastic but it isn't.
Open Mail preferences and delete that account. Make sure you have the address and password to recreate the account before doing that.
Then add the account back in. This will clear the faults.
To do this click the minus - sign with that account highlighted, delete and then click the + sign to create it.
As soon as that happens it should all repopulate and not get hung up.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I cannot find "Open Mail Preferences
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
With Mail open and running click on the word Mail in the menubar.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
By the way, you do not have a PowerBook G4 with Snow Leopard, that requires an Intel machine which the PowerBook G4 is not.
I would imagine that you have Leopard 10.5.x, there are some differences but they are not major.
Look under the Apple menu in 'About This Mac', as in the images below and tell me what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had found the "preferences" earlier but I still don't know what to delete, the income mail which is Pop3Live, or the outgoing which is [email protected] I tried to delete the latter one in the manner you described and it would not delete.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
The entire account. Highlight it by clicking once and then on the - minus sign in the lower left corner of the window, just like in the images.