loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

Fir the past two days Ive been able to open my gmail account,

Fir the past two days I've been able to open my gmail account, look into the In box, but haven't been able to open any mail--=however, when I sign on using a friend's computer, I have no problem. Could this be a virus ( use a Mac, and have not been having any other problems, so I doubt it). What gives? Thanks--
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 3 years ago.
Would it be possible for you to download/install Firefox and verify it isn't Safari that's the problem? I'm curious to know if you have "dirty cache" or some other issue with Safari preventing you from seeing the contents of your Inbox. Another alternative is to use the default Mac Mail email program to pull your Gmail email down to it locally. I can provide the instructions for doing so if you're interested.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks John--yes, Firefox is working. What could be wrong with Safari? and, yes, pl;ease forward instructions on how to use the default Mac Mail to get gmail, just in case--thanks, Nick
Ok, good deal Nick. If Safari is your preferred browser, here are some things I found that could help get it to work with GMail:

First, make sure you're using the latest version of Safari by clicking the Apple icon at top left and choosing Software Update.

Second, try clearing your history/cache & cookies in Safari. Here are those steps:
1) Open Safari
2) Click on the word Safari and choose Empty Cache and click Ok when asked to confirm
3) Click Safari and choose Preferences
4) From the choices at the top, choose Bookmarks
5) From Bookmarks section, click Show Cookies
6) You can either find all relevant Google URL's and invidually remove those or choose to remove all. A word of caution here, cookies aren't always a bad thing and if you've asked Safari to store passwords for websites, removing all cookies will remove those too, so just use caution.

Alternatively, if none of the above worked for displaying the GMail page correctly, you may be looking at removing and reinstalling Safari using your installation disc. If you'd like to go this route, let me know and we'll go over how to do this the right way.

I briefly need to explain to you the difference between IMAP and POP protocols before I get started. Basically, POP means PULL ALL EMAIL FROM THE SERVER AND PUT IT ON MY LOCAL HARD DRIVE which will REMOVE email from GMail. In other words, if you choose this method and tell Mac Mail to check email, then you decide to go to another computer and check your GMail, expecting to see older email, it will no longer be there. It will be on the Mac that has Mac Mail configured as POP for GMail. Ok, so what's IMAP? IMAP allows you to leave the email on the server, but you can choose to drag server-side email to your local machine every so often to "archive" your messages from time to time, if you care to keep them. I think you'll agree with me when I say IMAP is the preferred method of mail handling so let's go that route.

I'm going to provide instructions based on the latest version of Mac Mail which is version 3. If you have a different version, you should still be able to figure out what goes where, but definitely ask me if you're unsure of something. We're going to have to first configure Google Mail for IMAP capability before we can configure Mac Mail so please follow these instructions first:

Please note that if you're adding your Gmail address to Apple Mail 3.0 for the first time, your mail will be automatically configured for POP access. In order to configure IMAP, please follow these steps:

1. Click Mail > Preferences....
  2. On the Accounts tab, click the + button to add a new account.
  3. Fill in the new window with the following information:
    • Full Name: [your name]
    • Email Address: your full email address [username@gmail.com, or username@your_domain.com for Google Apps users]
    • Password: your Gmail password
    • Important: please deselect the box next to 'Automatically set up account'
  4. Click Create.
  5. Fill in the following Incoming Mail Server information:
  6. Click Continue.
  7. Enter the following Outgoing Mail Server information:
  8. Click Continue.
  9. Review your Account Summary, and click Create.

You're done!

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.