Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

i am trying to retrieve some email that i have deleted on mac

i am trying to retrieve some email that i have deleted on mac book pro. Can u help me with this issue? It was a series of emails with a doctor and I have some but not all of them. I do have time capsule but dont know how to use it. I tried using the email search bar but did not get the whole series I was seeking. Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
The bad news first, unless the Time Capsule was in use and backing up your MacBook Pro at the time that these e-mails were received the chances of getting them back are slim to none.
I am afraid that you're going to have to go with what you have depending on how much these e-mails are worth and how long ago you deleted them. There is a utility called Data Rescue that might be able to recover them. It is about $100 to buy the software, that is way cheaper than having a data rescue service do it.
Getting to Time Capsule this Apple article will assist you greatly in getting back up and running.
By following those instructions your Time Capsule can begin backing up your MacBook Pro so that you can recover things like this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was using time capsule when I deleted the emails. But I dont know how to get into time capsule. I looked at the link you sent to me and still dont know. (Sorry for my ignorance)
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Getting into Time CapsuleIs is easy, there is an icon, or should be, in your menu bar that looks like a clock pointing at five o'clock with a circle around it.
graphic
Depending on what time machine finds when you click on that icon you will see different options.
graphic
In your case you will want to click on Enter Time Machine.
Or you will see an icon that looks like this in your dock.
graphic
Clicking on that would take you to the same place.
Your screen will change to show you this.
graphic
If you have mail open when you enter Time Machine it will make it easier to locate those missing e-mails.
It can take some digging around to find exactly what you're looking for but it is there.
Once located highlight what you want and click on restore at the bottom of the screen, then follow whatever prompts it gives you.
Try that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found them!! Thank you so much. However I did NOT see a restore button at the bottom of the screen?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I told you the wrong corner, it is the right bottom.
graphic
Click on that and it will bring them forward.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is that he same as refresh?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Where did you see refresh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
at he bottom of the retrieved email screen archive, report spam,delete,moeve to in box labels more actions REFRESH

I clicked on move to inbox to get the lost emails back
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that works. I think that I was assuming that you were using Mac Mail and that would have meant that those emails would have been in TM.
I though this because you said that you had deleted them on your MBP.
Now it would seem that you access your email online. Probably AOL, correct?
Not that that matters now.
You have learned more about your TM even if that is not what you used.
Glad you have them back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
True. I actually use gmail. One last question, how do I see what is on time machine in general (not just deleted emails)? Can I only acess info from my computer or all computers on the time machine?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You can browse the TM from other Macs with at least 10.5.8 and you can restore data to any that can browse.
Once in TM you can move around by using the time line on the right and in the window by opening folders just like you would with a finder window.
This will answer many questions about TM, how to use it, recover files and how to browse.

One more thing I recommend is to use the Mac Mail application (the Postage Stamp), it interfaces very well with Gmail and this way all email is backed up with TM.
This will help greatly with this.

I also recommend moving all of your contacts from Gmail to AddressBook, this puts a real firewall between your contacts and any Gmail borne virus' that hack contact lists.
You also benefit from auto backup of AddressBook so no contact is lost.
Let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much Daniel. As always,you have been so patient and helpful! Have a good evening :)