iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

I have a Mac G4, running OS 10.2.8

Customer Question

I have a Mac G4, running OS 10.2.8 I have attempted to load Flash 9.2 several times.   I get the message ZERO KB available. It also asks me to choose an application to open the Flash Player. Do I need another RAM chip or what?
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi .

iteachmac :

Please can you check your Mac HD has at least 10GB of free space on it .

iteachmac :

Also OSX 10.2.8 is a very old system .

iteachmac :

It would be a good idea to upgrade the OSX version .

iteachmac :

Please state your ful mac details , from Apple menu , about the mac , more info .

iteachmac :

You will see mac identify Mac version 3.2 etc , also Install ram , and CPU speed .

iteachmac :

What type of mac do you have?

iteachmac :

OSX 10.2.8 may not be support for flash updates , or you need a version that will work with 10.2.8 .

iteachmac :

Lets work through the issue .

iteachmac :

10.2.8 will not be the best experience online these days , as many parts of the puzzle to get up and running will not work . web pages may not load , installers may be incompatible and so on .

iteachmac :

I will find out the OSX version latest that you can run on your Mac once you provide details .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

Customer:

The version of OSX that I have installed is the latest version that will run on the G4 that I have. I cannot upgrade the OS.

Customer:

I have plenty of GB available.

Customer:

The version of Flash that I have been trying to install is the one that is compatible with my OS.

Customer:

My computer works impeccably except for its inability to load Flash.

Customer:

Machine speed 1 Ghz

Customer:

L2 cache size 256K

Customer:

L3 cache size 1 MB

Customer:

DDR SDRAM 256 MB

iteachmac :

Hi , most mac G4s can run up to OSX tiger .

iteachmac :

that is 10.4

iteachmac :

with 10.2 , you wont get far online .

iteachmac :

If you give me your Mac type name , and Mac identify , machine number etc .. Mac version 3.2 etc

iteachmac :

I can confirm what will run on it .

iteachmac :

If you have problems with flash .

iteachmac :

The best thing to do , is download the Flash uninstaller from Adobe .

iteachmac :

Then reboot ,

iteachmac :

Repair permissions For Mac HD

iteachmac :

Then install flash .

iteachmac :

Heres how to repair the Mac HD , as stated in step two . Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Carry out repairs twice and then verify on both Mac HD and other partitions if any , also do same for your external HDD's if you have any , in turn .

Review this video to become familiar with the below procedure ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFv3h7MVX4A&feature=related?

iteachmac :

thanks.

iteachmac :

please let me know your mac details , and I can help more fully with the exact upgrade you can have on your mac , Some g4s over 900MHz can run 10.5 leopard also ...

Customer:

This is not helpful. I don't have a Mac HD drive repair.

Customer:

You referred me to a youtube video that requires flash player in order to become familiar with the procedure.

Customer:

Being I can't install flash player, that's pretty lame.

Customer:

Where is this HD startup volume?

Customer:

I'll try to repair the HD if I can figure out where to find the drive repair.

iteachmac :

Hi , Open Macintosh HD , from the Finder , any finder window .

iteachmac :

Go in to applications .

iteachmac :

Then in to Utilities .

iteachmac :

Then find , Disk Utilities .

iteachmac :

Launch the Application.

iteachmac :

Then Choose , the Mac HD from the Left hand list .

iteachmac :

Press repair disk permissions .

iteachmac :

let it run .

iteachmac :

Once done press , Verify .

iteachmac :

If there are errors in RED , you will need to boot from your Mac OSX install DVD to fix the issues if any .

iteachmac :

If you dont have a Mac OSX install DVD you will need one , or an upgrade DVD .

iteachmac :

You should be able to run or upgrade to 10.4 at least .

iteachmac :

I do need your Mac Identifier number to check .

iteachmac :

Heres the info I need to check this , see picture .

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

You will see this info from the Apple menu , about this mac , more info .

iteachmac :

Please use , this uninstaller to remove flash . and repeat the steps above "repair permissions" after removal .

iteachmac :

Then reinstall flash player after a reboot .

iteachmac :

This should fix the issue with flash .

iteachmac :

Sorry I presumed you where working from another working computer to access the site , and see the video.

iteachmac :

This link should give you the last version of flash that would run on Mac OSX 10.2 :

iteachmac :

Please let me know how you get on and if you get stuck .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

Customer:

I ran the disk repairs, and got no messages in RED.

Customer:

I clicked on your UNINSTALL link above. What do I do with this dmg file?

Customer:

Save to disk? Open with what?

Customer:

I tried saving to disk and opening it. I couldn't see that anything happened. My older versions of Flash are still in my computer and the newer version I tried to install before is still on the desktop.

Customer:

Do I have to reboot in order for the uninstall to work?

Customer:

I went to the Apple menu. My More Info is set up differently from your picture. I have a section that says'

Customer:

Machine Model Power Mac G4 Version 3.3

Customer:

Is that what you wanted to know?

Customer:

Hum....my last section of my previous message is missing here.

Customer:

I am also running OS 9 on this computer. I believe that the OS 10.2.8 that I have is the last version that would work with the 9, but

Customer:

I no longer need the 9. I was using some older software (Pagemaker), but am no longer using it.

Customer:

I don't know if I can upgrade the OS with the OS 9 still in the computer.

Customer:

Like I said, the computer runs just fine, except for not having FlashPlayer. This has been getting more

Customer:

The download zip file link you provided unzipped to three folders labeled "fp9_archive"

Customer:

"fp9_archive.1" and fp9_archive.1.2"

Customer:

to my eye, these these folders appear to be identical

Customer:

Within the folders, there is nothing labeled as an install file; all are labeled with numbers

Customer:

What am I supposed to do with these files? They don't look like dmg executable files.

Customer:

Well, I checked some other places on the web, and it appears others have had difficulty installing the fp9 with OS 10.2.8.....so I went to Old Versions and downloaded flashplayer 8, and that seems to be working.

Customer:

I suppose your advice was somewhat helpful, in that you did provide the FlashPlayer uninstaller, which may have helped the process along, but then I ended up with all those fp9 folders and that download you provided was just crazy long. So....it hasn't been a great experience, but I'm going to "accept" because I know you gave it a good shot. I'll be back to hit the "accept" button later. I want to give you a chance to offer any final comments on this whole thing.

Customer:

OK....so I checked some sites....my flash player works for some of them, but not all of them....I did some more reading....OS 10.4 does seem to support Classic 9, so maybe it is compatable....but I couldn't find anywhere to download OS 10.4....If you can help me with that, I'll definitely give you more money

iteachmac :

No errors in red = good .

iteachmac :

save to disk DMG , open DMG , run un-installer .

iteachmac :

Once mounted the DMG , by double clicking the downloaded DMG , you will see the folder that contains the unistaller .

iteachmac :

run the uninstaller .

iteachmac :

this should remove flash .

iteachmac :

then reinstall flash , after rebooting .

iteachmac :

Yes , Machine Model Power Mac G4 Version 3.3 = the Gigabit Ethernet Power mac G4

iteachmac :

Max OS version you can install will be OSX 10.4.11

iteachmac :

You would need a OSX 10.4 tiger DVD retail install DVD , for Use with a PPC Mac .

iteachmac :

There is a firmware update for your mac also : Optional .

iteachmac :

Firmware upgrade details :

iteachmac :

Full Size Image
your mac should be this type , on the far right .

iteachmac :

Flash for older systems such as OSX 10.2 is a real pain , as your finding out .

iteachmac :

OSX 10.4 is much newer , so if you dont need os 9 , you should not have any issues ,

iteachmac :

Im still sure os 9 can be used with OSX 10.4 however , just the OSX 10.2 would be upgraded if you move to Tiger 10.4 .

iteachmac :

Ok OSX 10.4 tiger can be found on Ebay , or ordered from Apple .

iteachmac :

Ebay , :

iteachmac :

or contact apple :

iteachmac :

You can email or phone apple support for help , http://www.apple.com/contact/

iteachmac :

If you have free memory slots in your mac , I would upgrade the Mac to full spec . you can use up to 2GB installed under OSX , 1.5 GB under os 9 .

iteachmac :

So you would need x4 512MB ram chips to upgrade the mac.

iteachmac :

You can check your installed ram in Apple menu , About this Mac , more info , then see memory in the left hand list .

iteachmac :

You will see the installed ram , in the Mac , and the sizes of the ram .

iteachmac :

You may have to pull out 256MB chips to go to the full 2GB the Power Mac G4 can take .

iteachmac :

OWC can help with this link sent above , If you want to do this it will improve the Macs speed some what .

iteachmac :

Macs love ram . the more the better .

iteachmac :

You will find youl run better on OSX 10.4 , as you can use newer versions of browsers online at this time ,

iteachmac :
Operating Systems FIREFOX 3.6.

iteachmac :

• Mac OS X 10.4 and later

Minimum Hardware

• Macintosh computer with an Intel x86 or PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor

• 128 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)

• 200 MB hard drive space

iteachmac :

Safari 4 for PPC mac running OSX 10.4 :

iteachmac :

Firefox will give best results in OSX 10.4 IMOO

iteachmac :

Safari 5 requires , 10.5 or 10.6 etc ..

iteachmac :

Heres a link for flash player should work with OSX tiger and PPC G4 . :

iteachmac :

that's about all the info I can get for you regarding web usage , unless there's something else you need ?

iteachmac :

Oh if you use MSN, chat , your better off trying , AMSN : details and download below .

iteachmac :

also , on older systems , VLC player can help with of line video playback , :

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing