Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

My mouse quite working. How do I get it back

Customer Question

My mouse quite working. How do I get it back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
What kind of mouse is it?
How does it usually connect? BlueTooth or USB dongle?
What version of Mac OS X do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to figure out about the subscription.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
This will help with that.
Let me know when you get that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you need now?I have a mac lap top with a wireless mouse that just quite working. I don't know about the bluetooth but that sounds familiar.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
What kind of mouse? Logitech, Apple Magic mouse?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know but I guess it is Apple because that is where I got it.It has an apple on it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Does it look like this?
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
On the bottom of the mouse near the top of the battery door is a switch, push it up so that green shows. This turns the moues on.
A tiny green light will also show. If that does not happen then make sure the batteries are in correctly.
Then in the menu bar find this icon.
graphic
I do not think that you will need to do anything here once it is on and or the batteries installed correctly.
I have that same mouse and the switch is quite easy to flip to off when replacing batteries.
graphic
That should get your mouse hunting cheese again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Of course i've turned it on with new batteries but i can't find the icon you show. Be more specific.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Open System Preferences/Bluetooth,
graphic
For this, not the check boxes for Show in menu bar.
graphic
Then you have the icon I showed you in your menu bar next to the Airport icon.
This is the users manual for that mouse, best mouse I ever had.
That help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't kown where to start .to find what you are showing, tell me where to start
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
In the Apple menu is where you start.
graphic
Or this will be in your dock
graphic
This is the System Preferences icon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I got it now what do I do?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Did you read the manual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What manuel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing came up except the apple icon
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You have two possibilities here, one, scroll down and the rest will appear, two, place your cursor in the center near the bottom and click on this.
graphic
This will open it in preview.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is too complicated for me, you need to walk me through it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, this is what I want you to do.
Check the tiny light and make sure it is on.
graphic
If there is no light make sure the switch is on, if it is on and still no light change batteries or make sure they are inserted correctly.
If all checks out and you have used this mouse before with this Mac put it down and click the clicker once to reconnect.

If the above fails then, open System Preferences found in the Apple menu.
graphic
graphic
Now click on Bluetooth.
graphic
Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and discoverable.
Check the box for Show Bluetooth in menu bar.
If the mouse does not show in the list slide the on/off switch on the mouse off and the on again. It should now appear in the list (give it a few seconds).
Click on the mouse in the list once to highlight it and then click Connect.
You should now be able to use the mouse.
Quit System Preferences and you are done.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is working now,thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome.