Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a MacBook Pro with 10.6 OS. I have an Iomega Zip 250

I have a MacBook Pro with 10.6 OS. I have an Iomega Zip 250 with zip disks I need to read. My Mac does not have the firewire port to use the SCSI add-on, so if I use the USB, I believe I need an electric source (I don't have the electrical cord). I don't know if the Zip 250 will be compatible with the OS 10.6, and I don't have any way to know if my Zip drive works. I may need to order an electrical cord but wish to know before hand if the OS 10.6 and older Zip 250 will work together. Thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
If you have the newer version of the MBP it does have Firewire. It is Firewire 800 as opposed to Firewire 400.
What you need is a Firewlre 800 to 400 adaptor.
As for whether the files can be read I cannot say for sure but there is a very good possibility that you have software built in like Preview, that can open many kinds of files.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel - I will order the adaptor. Hope it will solve my problem. Thanks

I have a couple of other computer problems I need an answer for. Can we procede with that?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Are these related?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ask away.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was away from my computer so didn't finish my inquires until just now. You answered one of my questions and Mike the MacMedic answered the other. I do have another question concerning the Zip 250. Does it take software to use the Zip on my OS 10.6? I was under the impression that an application for the Iomega Zip drive wasn't necessary.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I think that you will not have issue opening data files, my advice is to try it, that costs nothing then if it fails look for software.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help Daniel.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome.