Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a CF250 Smartdisk Crossfire external hard drive that

I have a CF250 Smartdisk Crossfire external hard drive that I've had for a few years and use as a backup with firewire connection to my Imac. About 2 weeks ago the computer stopped seeing it. I unplugged and plugged stuff in. I can turn on this external drive, but still doesn't see it. Use it with "Timemachine" ap on my Imac. I plugged it into my Macbook to see if it was found there and it wasn't. AT this point I'm thinking the hard drive isn't working and I need to replace.
1. Do you think I'm correct on this or is there something else I should try? and
2. If it's not working, how can I erase data on it so it can be disposed of without my data on it? Is there a way? And -
3 - since I'm here - if I have to get a new one, I'd like to use it for time machine on my Imac and Macbook...so need one with USB and Firewire if possible..can I use one external hard drive for Timemachine on two computers?
4. Is there any particular HD you would recommend? Since I'd be backing up two computers on it, I'm thinking 1 T for size - but I could probably do with 500 or 750 gigs?

Note that I'm using Snow Leopard on both computers - I read about someone having trouble with a Smartdisk drive with Snow Leopard and was advised to use USB. Tried that and it still doesn't work.
Thanks!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First plug it in with FireWire and then go to Apple Logo / About this Mac / More Info select FireWire on the left and tell me if you see the device listed on the right.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HI Mike - thanks for getting back to me - seems it took some time to find the appropriate person. When I asked the question I had asked for 30 minute reply since I wanted to take care of it yesterday. When I didn't receive an answer hours later, I needed to get going and went to Apple store and bought a new HD which I've now used to back up both of my computers using Time Machine. They had advised to check disk utilities to see if the old drive showed up there, and it didn't - on either computer...when hooked up. So I'm set. My only issue now is how to get my data off the drive before it's trashed, and I will probably go the sledgehammer route.
Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK we can determine that, does it show up in System Profiler?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just plugged it in. Disconnected the new external HD (Lacie Rugged 1TB) so it wouldn't interfere. ("ejected" it first)
The Crossfire does show in the firewire list in System Profiler. So I went into Time Machine again to see if it would recognize it and it does not show up in the Time Machine list as a choice. (nothing shows there as I disconnected the Lacie as well).
FYI - as I sit here I can hear the Crossfire working...it's kind of clicking - as if it's turning or something...if that helps. ALso - the Crossfire uses a 400 MB firewire connection - the Lacie uses 800.
Just for fun :) I checked disk utilities again and the Crossfire doesn't show up there. So it seems the Profiler is the only place that's seeing it.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK then most likely the enclosure is OK but the drive has failed. You will have to send it to a service to get your data off if it is essential.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not essential - Will sledgehammer it. I guess HD's only last a few years? My Imac HD crashed and had to be replaced. Was glad I had done Time Machine. That's why I was anxious to get this taken care of.
Thanks for your time, however as I didn't get the timely answer I expected, and if I had asked for a 24 hour answer it would have cost less, I'm inclined to pay that price which was $10.00 less I believe.
What now?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I don't know about that I just answer questions. You should check before you trash it drives have long warranties 3-5 years.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks - checked and it had a year warranty - is almost 4 years old.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Mike - I accepted your answer, but fyi - I have written customer service about a $10.00 refund because the answer was so delayed. But I did want you to be paid for your time.
Have a good rest of the week.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK thanks