Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have an Epson Expression 836XL, which is a great scanner. Sadly it is not supp

Customer Question

I have an Epson Expression 836XL, which is a great scanner. Sadly it is not supported in OSX by Epson, so I maintaina hard drive operating in 9.2 just to operate this scanner. However, I cannot get photoshop 7 to recognize the scanner via the Twain plug-in. (it will recognize the basic scanner itself, but that provides minimum capability. Any suggestions?

Frank
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried VueScan it supports your scanner?

http://www.hamrick.com/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will VueScan enable this scanner to operate in OSX? If not, do you know of any other workaround?

If not, I assume I need to purchase an old version of VueScan that is compatible with 9.2?

Frank
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes it will work with OS X.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry if I'm sounding dense, but I know the VueScan program will work with OSX. Before I buy it, I'm asking if it will run this particular scanner, via Photoshop 7, in OSX.

Thanks-
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You can try it, just download it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK--VueScan does enable this scanner to operate in OSX, although there is still an apparent incompatibility with Photoshop 7. However, the basic problem is solved, and I can always open the image in Photoshop after the scan is complete. I consider this problem solved, and thank you--although if you have any ideas about the Photoshop conflict I'd appreciate it.

Frank
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You won't be able to import directly from Photoshop. Sorry.