MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have been given a Mac computer by my son. It is a G5 but

Customer Question

I have been given a Mac computer by my son. It is a G5 but updated to Mac 10.4.11 oS. How can I change the administration to my own admin.? Unfortunately, as he hasn't used it for sometime he has forgotten his password. He cannot find his startup disks but I have mine which are for a genuine OS X 10.4.11.

What do you suggest?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Checking out the other computer,it is a PC G5 running MAC OS X 10.4.11 system.

Will it be OK to continue as you proscribed?
Thanks for your reply.
Sure- as long as your retail Mac OS X 10.4.11 software is the same version as on the computer you are seeking to reset admin password, you will be fine.

Note: When I say same version, I am referring the actual operating system and the updates to that version do not have to match. For example computer has Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, but your install disc is Mac OS X10.4.6- that will work, because again, they are of the same Mac OS X version series- Tiger.

Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes, and please proceed with your Admin password reset.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In reply to your email concerning the above, I did try what was advised but this did not work.
as I pointed out at the time my son's computer was not the same model as mine but had upgraded software to the the level of a MAC os X 10.4.11. This is the reason it did not work.

In view of this, I didn't consider your reply warranted any payment and as I felt that further progress was not possible I left off further contact.

My credit card bill has just arrived showing that you have taken the $28 from my account. This was not supposed to happen without my authority and I must insist that this is rectified.

Please notify me that this has been done.