MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have MacBook Pro with intel inside. The screen is flashing.

I have MacBook Pro with intel inside. The screen is flashing. I did some research online about 9600M chipset vs 9400M chipset, but that's all I have found.

I need help. Thinking this is not a good thing, and would like to fix it before this laptop shuts down or something bad.

Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown.

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

• Release the keys and allow the Macbook Pro to start up.

• Please update me to let me know if this works.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reply to this post, as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Terry. So far so good- I've been back on my computer for about 20 minutes, and it seems to be doing well. If the screen flashing starts up again, I will let you know.

Excellent, that is good to know as an update.

Keep me posted as to how your system fares as time progresses in your desktop session on the Macbook Pro.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Terry. How often in the future should I be performing this type of RESTART on my Mac?
Hello! Thanks again for taking time to update me as to the progress of your Macbook Pro's performance (post-procedure).

And to answer your question, the answer is No- The PRAM Reset should only be used in cases where you are experiencing lockups on your system (also known as Kernel Panics), issues with booting up to the main desktop, or video issues, just as you have been previously experiencing.

However, to keep your system healthy and optimized in its performance, you can run your Disk Utility from within your Macbook Pro desktop at least once or twice a week for maintenance just to insure your system is cleared of damaged folder permissions which if not repaired, can impact the performance of your Mac.

Go to Finder Menu bar
• Click Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility app.
• Click on Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
this volume to.)
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions"

*Let Disk Utility run this repair permissions until completion

Once Disk Utility is complete and there are no errors in red in the completion summary (if there are errors listed in red, re-run DU to see if those error will clear), quit Disk Utility once process is completed without errors.

For more indepth monthly cleaning and repairing of your hard drive, again for more optimum performance, you can also run the Disk Utility Disk Repair procedure, which can only be ran from your Mac OS X installation disk.
Here is how to run that procedure.

Insert your Mac OS X Startup disk
•Reboot your Mac
•At the Apple Chime, press the C key and hold it until you see a White screen, gray Apple and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
•Mac will boot from the startup disk to the Installer environment
• From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac

I hope this information helps and thanks for allowing me to assist you. If you have more questions, please feel free to reply back to this post.

Warmest Regards,