MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I just upgraded both my internal hard drive & RAM in my late

Customer Question

I just upgraded both my internal hard drive & RAM in my late 2007 intel core 2 duo imac. Cloned the drive before installing, then reinstalled snow leopard. Everything runs fine, in fact, fast and furious once booted....but the machine now takes FOREVER to boot, or even wake from sleep mode. Starts with gray apple screen, then switches to blue screen for literally 10 minutes before my login window finally appears. Have already used Disk Utility to "repair" and still no effect. Any ideas??
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to have you take your Mac into Safe Mode to see if we can't remove a possible folder(s) that may be affecting your Mac's start up function.

Try these steps:

-SAFE BOOT MODE-

• Reboot your Mac
• Upon restarting your Mac, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.
• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up. Also this may take a little while
(NOTE: this may take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to load to the Safe mode screen depending on the performance of your Mac, but if it exceeds this time, shutdown your Mac and try just once more. It may have just frozen up the first time around for you.)

• You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop enviroment the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop environment.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

-Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey there,

Thanks for being quick to respond. I checked and there are no items in my startupitems folder.....I have been reading through more forums, and I reset my PRAM, which didn't seem to help....then I read something about cables being connected, I disconnected my external hard drive (which wasn't even turned on in it's housing) and as soon as I did, I got my logon screen. I tried rebooting, and it did it lightning fast. I don't know why? Do you think you should shed some light on that? Is there a problem if it's scanning for peripherals like that that I should check? I shouldn't have to disconnect everything all the time, should I?
Thanks for your update and inquiry.

In fact, you should not have to disconnect everything all the time,
but one process I recommend you do try is not a PRAM Reset but an SMC Reset for your Intel iMac.

-SMC RESET-
The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of your Intel iMac computer.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping

• Shut down the computer.
• Unplug all connections to your iMac, except the power
cord.
• Finally unplug the computer's power cord for 20 seconds.
• Reconnect just your power cord and the keyboard and mouse (if they are wired USB devices)

• Press the power button to turn on the computer.
• Check the speed of your Mac's boot up process.
• If you find it is sufficiently fast, when you reach your desktop
connect your external hard drive (keep it turned off(
• Now, reboot your iMac and check the performance (Post SMC Reset)
in order to see if the boot process is slower or faster with the external HD connected.

• If there is no change to the boot process and it starts up quickly,
then the SMC Reset did its job.

Update me if you would and let me know if these processes helps.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Terry-

Just tried SMS reboot....have the same issue with slow booting. External is connected with Firewire 400 port to external enclosure. Interestingly, once booted and I plug drive in, it does not show on desktop. Swapped-out firewire connection with usb-connection, and now drive shows. Must be a power issue, as you said, I know Firewire powers peripherals....again, figured out the cause, and now can see drive with USB connection instead, but does this sound like something I should worry about? I used Firewire connection from housing to format & clone new drive once installed, no problem....wondering if there could be a problem now? I appreciate your dialogue, just taking the opportunity to pick your brain before I 'Accept Answer' if you don't mind....
No problem and I am very glad to assist you :)

In regards XXXXX XXXXX fact that you have an enclosure for your hard drive, and the USB connection worked better than the Firewire connection did (if I am understanding what you are describing), I would say just through your process of isolation, that there may be some form type of power issue with the Firewire enclosure.

There could be an irregular power draw from the Firewire enclosure that you may need to consider,because if Mac works well without that enclosure (and the USB again, works better), the only concern you should have is the Firewire enclosure.

I hope I am explaining this clearly enough for you.

Let me know if it does and please keep the questions coming, I would like to bring ease to your mind on this issue :)

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I really appreciate the continuing dialogue...update...I connected my enclosure with machine already booted via USB....drive popped up instantly on desktop, went to disk utility and did a verify & fix....went fine but then wouldn't "unmount"....eventually drive disappeared from desktop. It's a macally 3.5" aluminum enclosure with it's own power supply. Do you think maybe it's faulty? or do you think it's still some kind of power draw issue? I've used an external drive before with the machine and not had a problem. Again, just trying to make sure something faulty isn't going on with the imac that will bite me later...
Now in checking that a bit further, I would say it is ok to leave your iMac out of the equation, because this definitely does have something to do with your enclosure.

Honestly, I would check the Macally website for this product, to see if there are any known issues with the 3.5" aluminum enclosure's connectivity to Intel Mac computers. The power draw issue was speculative,as of course being a tech I would have to have a hands on approach truly be be sure. I would recommend you consider, just consider, getting an inexpensive but good capacity external hard drive complete with its own enclosure and have that as a back up just to protect your data. Nowadays you can find 1 Terebytes external hard drives going for as low as $60 USD.

But I can tell you this-- from what you have provided me thus far, your iMac is definitely not the problem. And I stand firm on that note.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
With just a google search, I'm finding all sorts of buzz around this Macally enclosure....apparently zero support from macally, and it looks to be a power supply issue from their cabling, etc that is unreliable....which explains the intermittent then disappearing disk mounting. Several people say the response from Macally is, "It may not work..." then, no solution. Unbelievable! I'm going to call OWC and return this enclosure....any suggestions on reliable brands you may know of for a 3.5" SATA enclosure? Thanks.
Thanks again for your update. Like I told you, I knew it wasn't your Intel iMac.

I can only think of one good online vendor that provides a variety of good Mac-compatible hard drive enclosures.
Other World Computing - is a good resource for you to look into a good single drive hard enclosure for your iMac. I have seen this company's product advertisement a popular Mac user magazine, MacLife and on a number of banner links of Mac supported websites.

So I am not sure what your price point is for a hard drive enclosure for your iMac, but this company has some really good products.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again for allowing me to assist you thus far.

Regards,

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the new hard drive, enclosure + RAM from OWC....they do seem to be the big guys, I found the enclosure via checking the appropriate tags for my imac model, etc....and this one came up in the list....I dunno....I'm gonna call to request a return/credit for this macally enclosure, but not sure of which manufacturers to use....I will ask support at OWC when I call....thanks again for all your help/advice!
My pleasure! And thanks so much for the Accept!

We are always glad to provide the answers that will help you with your Mac technical needs. If you need to reply back to this post for any reason to update me regarding how you new enclosure works-- please don't hesitate, I am a Tech- I must stay up to date and in the know!

Please feel free to provide feedback of my work if you can, as it is very helpful for JustAnswer.com to know how you feel you have been assisted overall, with your initially asked question.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry
"Mactechtrainer"