MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

i work from home and received a new laptop for work. how could

Customer Question

i work from home and received a new laptop for work. how could i discover if my employer is monitoring activity or recording my screen? i see no unusual apps but also not sure what ''secret'' things to look for.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

(Please Note: In advance I appreciate your Accept. However, your feedback is a very important determination of how I provide service to you, so please complete the survey at the end of this session- Thanks!)
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
Click on Apple menu icon in upper left corner of your screen,
System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Management
• Turn Remote Management: Off
• If the the Remote Management is On, change it to
"Allow access for: Only these users" BUT don't put anything in the list

You can also click the Options button under the Allow access for: section and check the box entitled, "Show when being observed" option.

This is about the best you can do, especially if your employer is using Apple Remote Desktop.

• I would recommend Little Snitch ( to you, but this Mac software application only monitors programs that attempt to establish an outgoing Internet connection to other sites- this application allows you to accept or deny the connection.

Otherwise, job-wise, you have to set up your computer, the way your employer requires. Take if from me, I am telecommuter of almost 3 years with my company, so believe me I know.

But again, the first option is your most viable workaround option, because you still get monitored, but with some limitations.

I hope this helps.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Terry- so if all of these items are disabled and there's no visible application on my computer, what other sneaky ways could they be doing this? Through email or chat? Can they use my webcam without me knowing?

Not paranoid here, just looking to get educated because I get asked these questions as well. Not sure if anything can be done by messing with the root or any hidden files. Can there be a hidden file log?

Again- I use this computer for everything and have been encouraged to use it like my own. I can't maintain multiple computers anymore so this is the best option for me. Just need to know what to expect and such.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply and inquiry.

No you are not being paranoid- cannot fault you for being concerned. By knowing how remote monitoring on Macs works, I can tell you would actually be monitored if you have previously had Apple Remote Desktop installed on your Mac. Otherwise
your email and chat cannot run the risk of being monitored, if they are not linked to a server that is hosting your computer in say, a VPN or Virtual Private Network.

Take it from me, I telecommute from home and the only way I am monitored is that my management had to ask that I installed the Apple Remote Desktop software . And if that wasn't enough, I had to give the manager permission to get access to my Mac to monitor it. So what I am saying here is that I was aware when I was being monitored.

The only other way your Mac could be monitored is if they have your IP Address for your laptop and again the only way they (your management) can access that IP Address is if you are linked to the company's Intranet via VPN (Virtual Private Network)

As a result, not to worry there is no hidden log file and you would have to give permission at least once before your Mac could be monitored.

I hope this helps.